PDA

View Full Version : connecting to XP home networking

plcanonica
07-24-2004, 06:41 PM
I am using Knoppix on my laptop, which is connected through its network card, via a crossover cable, to a network card on a Windows XP machine. The windows XP machine is running Win XP Professional, and connects to the Internet through a second network card and a cable modem. The Knoppix machine can connect to the Internet just fine with this setup. Is there any way I can access the files on the Knoppix machine from the XP machine, or vice versa? I have administrator privileges on both machines. Thank you!

tearinghairout
07-25-2004, 12:11 AM
Yes.
You have several options, although samba is probably the one you want.
The Samba server allows you to create a Knoppix network share that can be seen on your XP machine, and the Samba client allows you to see your XP shares on your Knoppix machine.
To configure the client, Start Menu->Settings->Control Center, then expand 'internet and network' and select 'local network browsing'.
Last time I used this stuff, configuring the server required hand editing a configuration file.

vosgym
04-20-2005, 12:45 PM
Hello,

I've just a situation like that. Althougt my Knoppix 3.2 is at my computer and mij XP pro at the laptop. The are connected with a UTP cable.

When I start "Browse Network" in the LinNeighborhood nothing happens.

Can someone explain?

Thank you