PDA

View Full Version : Magnifier

terrencevak
07-25-2004, 04:11 AM
I'm wondering if there is a magnifier with or that can be used with Knoppix? I'd like to be able to use Knoppix, but I am blind and need to either magnify the screen or have it read. Are either of these possible?

Thanks,
Terrence

baldyeti
07-25-2004, 09:58 AM
Hi Terrence,

KDE might have something better, but there's always the standard "xmag" X-windows tool. Anyway, google returned the following promising page listing several such utilities, some of which hopefully are only one apt-get away:

http://www.magnifiers.org/links/Screen_Magnifiers/UNIX_Linux/

Ironically, their choice of colors/fonts makes the page somewhat hard to read, imo ;-)

terrencevak
07-25-2004, 07:04 PM
What does the KDE stand for? Is that a pfogram within Knoppix? Also, how does one get to the x-mag program? Does that come with the distribution?

Thanks,
Terrence
Hi Terrence,

KDE might have something better, but there's always the standard "xmag" X-windows tool. Anyway, google returned the following promising page listing several such utilities, some of which hopefully are only one apt-get away:

http://www.magnifiers.org/links/Screen_Magnifiers/UNIX_Linux/

Ironically, their choice of colors/fonts makes the page somewhat hard to read, imo ;-)

baldyeti
07-25-2004, 07:49 PM
KDE is one of the two major desktop environments available on linux, the other one being gnome. KDE is the one included with knoppix. I just checked, and can confirm that xmag is on the CD, and kmag and xzoom are available as debian packages and can thusly be installed using apt-get. That is, if your knoppix has been installed to hard disk. To give xmag a try, simply type "xmag" from a console or from the <Alt><F2> prompt.

user unknown
07-26-2004, 05:07 AM
There is the possibility to set the screen-resolution in the file

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
to a lower resolution or use <Ctrl>-<Alt><+> to toggle through different resolutions.

KDE means - K Desktop Environment, and I don't know what 'K' means, but think to remember that it stands for entirely nothing.