PDA

View Full Version : uninstall HDD

Liquidant
07-25-2004, 02:22 PM
I've had knoppix as a HDD install for a few months but now have a second PC which is running knoppix as the main OS. I now want to uninstall the installation i have on my first PC which also has windows XP wich i'm using for video editting. how do i go about doing this and removing the start up screen which lets me select which install to use so it just boots into windows again?

thanks in advance Liquid

shah
07-25-2004, 03:55 PM
use dos fdisk /mbr

Liquidant
07-25-2004, 03:59 PM
thank i'm now booting straight into windows but the hard drive i was using for knoppix still has it installed and partitioned can i now run a disk format in XP to delete knoppix completely ?

Cuddles
07-25-2004, 04:17 PM
Liquidant,

I don't think a simple format from XP is going to do it... I think you will need to use fdisk, from XP to regain the partition in a FAT, VFAT, NTFS "type" ( not the "Linux" type ) first, and then you should "see" the device/drive in XP, thus, being able to format it to what you want for XP to use... ( not sure on this, cause I have Win98, and the partition I have set-aside for Linux, has yet to even be "seen" by Windows. This being a setup on one of my first attempts at Knoppix and a hdinstall... Its an older system... I really should remove the Knoppix on it, and reclaim the drive into Win98 on that system, but have been working more on my "new" knoppix/debian system too much to have the time to do it... )

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

mzilikazi
07-25-2004, 06:26 PM
I've had knoppix as a HDD install for a few months but now have a second PC which is running knoppix as the main OS. I now want to uninstall the installation i have on my first PC which also has windows XP wich i'm using for video editting. how do i go about doing this and removing the start up screen which lets me select which install to use so it just boots into windows again?

thanks in advance Liquid

SImple. Presuming you installed Knoppix to /dev/hda3....Boot Knoppix

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda3

Be careful - you wouldn't want to issue this command on the wrong partition. Then just format it.

shah
07-26-2004, 03:46 AM
I don't know if you are using Xp pro or Home. You could try in XP , go to control panel--> Sytem administration---> system mangement.
Try find disk or storage management, you will see all the partition on you hdd. You will see something like unrecognize partition. That will be linux partition. Delete that partition and create new one of your choice, than format.