PDA

View Full Version : usb problem on hd install

gilljohn
03-16-2003, 01:11 AM
Having used knoppix without problems from CD, I have taken the plunge and installed it to hard disk. Whilst CD operation recognized all my usb devices the hard disk installation won't recognize any ! On boot up I get a series of entries which say " usb_control/bulk_msg:timeout" and in the middle of these enries a line which says"ttys1:lsr safety check engaged" .As a Linux newbie this has me totally baffled. Any pearls of wisdom to offer ? :(

Update: After trying to configure printer manually I rebooted and hey presto the usb devices are now recognised. Don't quite know how or why unless someone out there is really good ! All I have to do now is make my scanner and zip drive actually work and I'm their !
Update 2: After ploughing through Howto's and other Linux aids I am no nearer solving this problem! Position is that I have 4 devices on a USB hub. A printer,which works fine, a Zip drive and Wireless optical mouse, which are listed in USB view but I can't get to function, and a scanner which I know is compatible with Linux but does not appear anywhere ! - Any help would be gratefully received.
Update 3; All problems resolved except Micrsoft usb Optical mouse. Pointer will only go up and down. Found a workround as follows:-
At text input" modprobe -r usbmouse"(enter) then "modprobe hid ". Mouse then works perfectly but I have to do this on every boot.
Any ideas ?

fons
03-26-2003, 05:35 PM
hello,

i have basically the same problem. [ linux newbie as well btw :) ]
with a cd boot my extra hd, which is in external usb connected box, gets recognized without a problem....even icons for the partitions on the screen.
being mighty happy with this, i installed the whole thing to my thinkpad 600x...
...only to find out nothing at all happens now, no icons...nothing.
whats wrong? i dont know where to look :?

please help! :)

fons

gilljohn
03-27-2003, 12:36 AM
I resolved most of my problems at the following site:-
LINK=www.usbman.com/linuxusb.htm
I resolved the mouse by reverting to a ps/2 mouse ! Probably not in the right spirit for a Linux newbie but if at first you don't succeed try something different.
:D

rickenbacherus
03-27-2003, 03:02 PM
Here is my /etc/modules I have obviously added evrything in bold

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line. Comments begin with
# a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
rtc
apm power_off=1
usb-ohci<-hub driver
usbmouse<-got one of these?
hid<- this is for USB too
mousedev
serial
tulip
esssolo1
agpgart
ntfs
nls_iso8859-1
ext3
af_packet
autofs4
udf
usb-storage<-mass storage device like a camera/ card reader
nls_cp437

gilljohn
04-04-2003, 08:24 PM
Rickenbacherus
I have checked my /etc/modules file and amended accordingly. However what is the difference between " usb-ohci" and "usb-uhci". My file shows usb-uhci but you suggest usb-ohci
John

rickenbacherus
04-04-2003, 11:29 PM
Do a
lspci -v | grep HCI
to see which one you need.

gilljohn
04-05-2003, 11:50 AM
Rickenbacherus
Require ohci , I have investigated a little further and now know it depends on the mainboard installed. Thanks for your help
John

rickenbacherus
04-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Rickenbacherus
Require ohci , I have investigated a little further and now know it depends on the mainboard installed.
It depends on which version of USB you have. There are three types 1.0, 1.1, & 2.0.

Thanks for your help
John
anytime

dmiller
04-07-2003, 06:58 AM
version mar 3 0,03.
(version jan 20 worked fine on this laptop, sony viao fxa-36}
the cdrom version mar 30,03 seems to work ok.

No usb found by the kde printer settings wizard.
Error message on starting usbview that usbdevfs not installed.
lsmod shows lines for usb hub and controllers.

I added the line to fstab
none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0

mount -a

The settings Printer Maneger now finds usb printers and allowed installation of my printer
which now works just fine.

What happened that fstab was not correctly set up on hdinstall.

Hotplug is installed and hotplug status looks ok with usb up level 2.

The notes for hotplug in /usr/share/doc indicate a problem with the testing kernel. is this mabe the problem "This particular version won't work on test versions of the 2.4 kernels,
which (NOTE!) need modutils 2.4.2 or later; for your two letter country
code (cz, jp, tw, us, etc) use this FTP site:
"
Or do I need to look for some other problem in usb hotplug and try to trouble shoot the hotplug autoconfiguration.

dmiller
04-09-2003, 09:28 AM
in reference to my immedeate preceding post regards the mar30 release.
pardon a newbie. hotplug seems to be working.
I looked in /proc/bus/usb/devices and /proc/bus/usb/drivers
and my usb had been installed.

I am not sure why I got the error message on trying to install my printer with Kprinting manager,
usbdevfs not installed.

Nor do I understand why adding
none /proc/bus/usb/ usbdevfs defaults 0 0
to fstab cured the problem.

bud it did and my printer installed and workes fine.

The hard drive install otherwise was simple and I like the new browser and updates.
I can post the fstab, and cat proc/bus/usb output if anyone wants.

rickenbacherus
04-09-2003, 02:05 PM
Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for telling us how.