PDA

View Full Version : sound issues with onboard sound chip

frank34
07-26-2004, 04:44 AM
Hi everyone ! I just finished building a new pc... I tried all linux distros ( well...most of em ) and I think like many people that knoppix is just fantastic ! now... I need some help. I'm using a asus p4s800-mx motherboard. Knoppix configures easily my ethernet onboard card but my intel onboard sound chip is not working but is detected. I tried several boot options like knoppix alsa etc... I usually boot with kernel 2.6. what can I do to get the sound working ? I saw somewhere that these motherboards are supposed to be fully linux compatible. Then I guess it is just a matter of some small configuration options or file editing... can anyone help please ?
I'll be glad to provide any information on configuration files or hardware. Thanks !

kuser123
07-26-2004, 09:31 AM
You need AC97 support enabled in alsa. This driver can handle your sound chip (AD1888). Maybe you need the latest 2.6.7 kernel.

ellisol
07-26-2004, 01:18 PM
I also have the ASUS p4s800 board. I did not hear system sounds when I logged in as a normal user but when I logged in as root I did. As a normal user I could go into the sound control center and test sound and it would work.

I fixed the problem by modifying the file .kde/share/config/knotifyrc
[StartProgress]
Arts Init=true
KNotify Init=true
Use Arts=true

See this thread for more detail http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12163&highlight=arts
Hope this helps.
Larry

Cuddles
07-26-2004, 02:49 PM
I am not sure about this, but, ellisol - what you suggest is using the OSS sound support... If, on the other hand, frank34 wants ALSA sound support, this isn't the right direction... But rather, 180 degrees from that direction they want to go.

OSS is by far, the easier of the two to get going... Whereas, ALSA, can be a little more work...

Not sure frank34, did you want the ALSA sound support working, or just "any" sound support, or OSS sound support ???

Ms. Cuddles