PDA

View Full Version : Help MBR had to be reformatted

Galvatron36
07-26-2004, 05:00 AM
okay im sure you're like why would you reformat your MBR and there is a perfectably good reason. windows wouldnt load and for one of the very slim chances I actually had to get into it.,

so I reformatted my MBR.

now here is my question I have Knoppix installed on /dev/hdb5/ windowis like on hdc6 or something like that. I'll have to double check once I get into linux again.

but now I want to get back into knoppix with out reinstalling cause I have a metric fuckton of stuff already in there.

so I was wondering if anyone knew of a linux rescue disk that would load knoppix and let me rerun lilo and what are the spefications of running lilo with knoppix if there is anything different from installing normal linux distros.

I already tried loading it from the cd but it was like ummm wtf mate NO! and wouldnt let me redo lilo that way. so if any of this makes sense could someone please help.

Stephen
07-26-2004, 08:42 AM
okay im sure you're like why would you reformat your MBR and there is a perfectably good reason. windows wouldnt load and for one of the very slim chances I actually had to get into it.,

so I reformatted my MBR.

now here is my question I have Knoppix installed on /dev/hdb5/ windowis like on hdc6 or something like that. I'll have to double check once I get into linux again.

but now I want to get back into knoppix with out reinstalling cause I have a metric fuckton of stuff already in there.

so I was wondering if anyone knew of a linux rescue disk that would load knoppix and let me rerun lilo and what are the spefications of running lilo with knoppix if there is anything different from installing normal linux distros.

I already tried loading it from the cd but it was like ummm wtf mate NO! and wouldnt let me redo lilo that way. so if any of this makes sense could someone please help.

Assuming lilo was working correctly before then boot using knoppix 2 with the Knoppix CD then when you get to the prompt.

mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd??
chroot /mnt/hd??/ /sbin/lilo -v

To mount the root partition of the HD install and chroot ( change root) and run lilo. Replace the ?? with the drive letter and partition number of the Knoppix root.

dobell
07-26-2004, 10:13 AM
I have been doing this until I decided to install Windows Xp after installing knoppix and lilo didn't want to get back. It sayd me that my partitions table was broken so i have to restore it.

I started knoppix (from cd), opened konsole and tiped:

su
fscdisk

I selected the option to restore (rewrite it) the partition table and then I was able to install lilo.

shah
07-26-2004, 12:22 PM
Galvatron36

Actually knoppix is a rescue cd.

Okay, to restore lilo on mbr , read my post:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12221&highlight=