PDA

View Full Version : Saving settings to a floppy

broy
03-16-2003, 02:38 AM
How do you do that!? I hate having to keep resetting my settings after each boot

A. Jorge Garcia
03-16-2003, 02:46 AM
OK, just click on the big "K" on the left of the task bar. Then click on KNOPPIX and then on save config to floppy (or something like that). This creates a shell script called knoppix.sh on your floppy which is read upon boot-up with the cheat code: "knoppix floppyconfig."

I did this with a boot floppy, knopix.sh fit just fine! It has to be a linux formatted disk.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Loper
03-17-2003, 03:51 AM
It has to be a Linux formatted disk.

Actually an MS-DOS-formatted floppy works just fine...

A. Jorge Garcia
03-17-2003, 05:28 PM
You can make a boot floppy from an MS-DOS formatted disk since rawrite rewrites the whole disk in linux format.

To use "knoppix floppyconfig" the knoppix.sh file must be on a linux formatted disk as you're running a shell script (*.sh). This is why I use a boot disk as these are the only linux formatted disks I have....

Regards,

Loper
03-17-2003, 05:41 PM
You can make a boot floppy from an MS-DOS formatted disk since rawrite rewrites the whole disk in linux format.

To use "knoppix floppyconfig" the knoppix.sh file must be on a linux formatted disk as you're running a shell script (*.sh). This is why I use a boot disk as these are the only linux formatted disks I have....

As I said before, an MS-DOS-formatted floppy works just fine for storing configuration files -- I'm not talking about boot disks. This fact allowed me to copy my Mozilla bookmarks from Windows to my Knoppix configuration floppy and take it to a friend's house so I could maintain my environment on his system -- it worked, that's what matters. I'm sure that's why KFloppy supports MS-type floppy formatting.

A. Jorge Garcia
03-17-2003, 07:18 PM
Relax, man, I'm just trying to answer the original question. You CAN save ANY linux file (text) to an MS formatted disk. The original question had to do with saving settings and getting them back on boot-up, right?

Peace,

Loper
03-17-2003, 08:41 PM
Relax, man, I'm just trying to answer the original question. You CAN save ANY linux file (text) to an MS formatted disk. The original question had to do with saving settings and getting them back on boot-up, right?

Yes, and that's the question I answered. One of the problems with written communication is that subtlties can be lost. I didn't mean to sound TOO forceful, I just wanted to be understood... Knoppix settings can be saved to -- and retrieved at boot from -- an MS-DOS-formatted disk; that was my message.