PDA

View Full Version : Help with error on boot-up

bob58
07-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Hello all.....I have noticed on both my laptop and desktop which has KNOPPIX 3.4 i get the same error which i cannot figure out. It is on boot-up and is as follows:

starting hotplug subsystem:
input
[failed] net
pci
***can't synthesize pci hotplug events
[failed usb
usbcore: already loaded
done

It does this 2 times as the boot up progresses. Everything is working OK as far as I can tell.....computers run well. Is it because I have no USB devices attached?

Another error that comes up during bootup is as follows:

failed to exec /sbin/modprobes -s -K
scsi_hostadapter, errno=2

Dont know what this means either. So does any one know how to make adjustments so as not to get these errors???? Please help if you can...bob58 :o

xdentan
07-26-2004, 01:45 PM
well if you dont have any usb devices, than why worry about the error :wink: ?

And you have knoppix working don't you?

bob58
07-26-2004, 01:52 PM
Yes Knoppix is working ok its just that that error, the one that comes up two times slows the start up a bit. I just dont know if the error is from a program loading to detect any usb devices attached, and seeing none, it produces the error....I just dont understand why it comes up twice. Maybe i will connect my usb scanner and see what happens. I just like to know what the errors mean, thats all. bob58

Cuddles
07-26-2004, 03:40 PM
bob58,

My guess is that the two services are a fall-out of auto-detection of Knoppix - one being for USB support, the other being for SCSI support...

If you are running from the CD, you can always add the cheatcodes: nousb noscsi onto the boot: prompt line, and that will stop the services for even looking...

But, if you have a USB device, then I would keep them running, for when you do have a device connected...

The errors you speak of, are not "really" errors, but more informational - in my case, they would be errors - because I do have a USB device connected, and it should find something - for me, if I saw that error, it would mean I have a problem with my USB hub, ports, or the device - for you, it is just informational - since you don't have a device connected.

The boot information ( the stuff that "flys" by the screen so quickly ) is more of a "dual purpose" kind of thing... Focus on the stuff you know needs to be running, and the stuff you know should be connected, this stuff would be errors, as for the stuff that you don't have, the stuff would be informational to you, and your system.

Say, at the beginning of the boot process, it found ZERO processors, that would be an error... If on the other hand, during the boot process it couldn't find a printer, and you have no printer connected or configured, then the messages would be informational, to you, or your system... I would take it, if it was a serious error, the system would not boot at all, so, most messages are informational - the system can boot without them.

Most motherboards ( newer ones ) have at least one, if not more, USB hubs, mine has two... Not that you may have any device on these "hubs", but the "HotPlug" detection needs to scan these "hubs" to ensure that something isn't connected to them, and thus, you may get an "informational" message to the fact that it didn't find any devices, or an error, if devices are connected, but not working...

For me, I have a "flash card" reader connected to my USB hub, if the card reader is connected, but doesn't have a card inserted, I get a message during boot that the device is in error. When a card is inserted, I get statistics on the size of the card, from the reader, during boot, and no error. If the device wasn't connected at all, during boot, I would also get an error from the USB scan that no devices were found ( this would allert me to the fact that "maybe" the reader has come unplugged somehow ) - i.e. informational.

Why it is doing it twice? My guess is, that the first time it is trying to detect devices that it may need to set interupts for, and the second time, it is trying to set interupts... OR... the first past it is scanning for devices, thinks that it may not have been able to scan properly, and thus, a second pass is made to ensure that the first pass is valid, and that during the boot, it didn't just "miss" something... ( this happens a lot, like the devices are being caught at the wrong time, and when it returns, they are ready. I get this with my CD-ROM devices, looking at dmesg, my CD-ROMS get scanned first during the hard drive detection, and when it finds my CD-ROMS, it "passes" them for later to detect them better using the SCSI detection, in which case they get assigned the /dev/sr# instead of the /dev/hdX# designations. )

This is all conjecture, but I really think the messages you are seeing can be "chocked" up as informational, unless of course, you have devices that it isn't detecting in the areas of these "informational" messages, then it would be close to being an error, and would need to be looked at, kinda thing...

Hope this ( really I do ) helps,
Ms. Cuddles

bob58
07-26-2004, 05:02 PM
Thank you Ms. Cuddles.....you may have hit the nail on the head. I will connect my USB scanner and see what happens. As far as SCSI devices, I wont worry about it. I was just concerned cause when I had Knoppix 3.3 installed, I never saw that particular message so it just caught my eye. And it does it on both my laptop AND desktop! Well thanks for your reply, it does make sense and I suppose there is really no "error" so to speak, just informational messages.
As far as things that should be running, the only thing I dont need to start when computer boots is cupsd because i dont use a printer, so i got the instructions in another post how to disable cupsd. As far as any other things running at start up, i am not sure exactly what they ALL are! But I was hoping to shorten the bootup time by trying to eliminate the cause of those 2 "error" messages.
thanks again...bob58

Cuddles
07-26-2004, 05:13 PM
Well, Bob58,

In my system, I don't have a SCSI card, thus, I don't need the SCSI detection for a SCSI card, and I run with the noscsi cheatcode - when I was booting from the CD...

If you are in the same situation, you can eliminate one of your "informational" messages, by adding that cheatcode on your boot prompt - and see what happens - if something appears not to be working, just reboot, and don't enter that cheatcode again. Nice thing about the Live-CD... You could boot with the nousb noscsi when you don't need the support, and when you do, just remove either/or/both of the cheatcodes during your boot prompt...

It gets a little tougher when you install to your hard drive, usually requiring getting into LILO or GRUB and changing the append= line, and, as I found, sometimes the append line isn't that much use...

I'm glad I could help,
Ms. Cuddles