PDA

View Full Version : Questions about full hdd install, partitions size, etc..

ight8
07-27-2004, 06:16 AM
knoppix-installer just dont want to co-operate with me; I keep getting the same error message,, something about cannot make ext3 mkfs? So i went and got Acronis (a partition maker) and I assume (forgive my assumptions) that the partitiions should look something like this,

hda1 /boot 40megs ext3 (made bootable)
hda2 /swap 1gig swap (I have a 400 meg AMD with 320 meg RAM)
hda3 /root rest of drive ext3

from here I've been able to use the cheatcodes to copy the cd in compressed form to hda3 without the use of lilo, so i use the live cd to boot.
however, I'm more interested in makeing a full uncompressed install.
I think I read somewhere to use the du command?
Is the partition size I have good?
any changes you can suggest or will amunition be required?

the goal of this install is to have a full knoppix install (standard GNU/LINUX) and to learn as much about the installation process and running linux as possible, so needless to say, the computer I have has no value to me outside of learning linux aka nothing mission criticle, and I'm just here to learn.

shah
07-27-2004, 10:47 AM
hda1 /boot 40megs ext3 (made bootable)
hda2 /swap 1gig swap (I have a 400 meg AMD with 320 meg RAM)
hda3 /root rest of drive ext3

Your partition will work for real Debian installation but for knoppix-installer it won't(for newbie).
1 gig of swap is too big, any linux distro will not need that much.
For knoppix-installer to work you only need two partition.
1) Linux Swap (between 128 to 500 Mb)
2) Ext3 at least 2 Gb (I suggest you partition more than that..the rest of your partition, because in futiure, you might want to learn how to install programs, how to compile programs, and alot more of hows....welcome to linux world...learning is a daily task.)

turbine
07-27-2004, 09:11 PM
ight8, if you're a newbie you might consider this advice from a fellow newbie. Divide your hard drive in half (except for the swap partition). Use one half for your active installation and use the other half for a backup partition of the active one. I use partition commander for this purpose. Now only when you have an active partition that represents a good knoppix install, copy the active to the backup.

Now when you goof, and you will, and you find yourself unable to undo the damage without taking a lot of linux courses, merely copy the backup partition to the active one and you're up and running again. This has saved me at least 50 times so far.