PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix hangs after shutdow.

desanti
07-27-2004, 03:45 PM
I am using M.Gagne's cd with his book "moving to linux".I had some problems and downloaded from KNOPPIX(?).In any event,with either cd,original from book or download,when i log off all goes well(remove cd and enter) and puter will restart.It does not happen;i can't even shut off the puter with the on/off button on the case!!!!i have to shut off electric and then i can continue.
I have no problem with using KNOPPIX! only at shutdown when it hangs,
even when KNOPPIX says all is o.k.thank you.

Cuddles
07-27-2004, 04:33 PM
I am using M.Gagne's cd with his book "moving to linux".I had some problems and downloaded from KNOPPIX(?).In any event,with either cd,original from book or download,when i log off all goes well(remove cd and enter) and puter will restart.It does not happen;i can't even shut off the puter with the on/off button on the case!!!!i have to shut off electric and then i can continue.
I have no problem with using KNOPPIX! only at shutdown when it hangs,
even when KNOPPIX says all is o.k.thank you.

desanti,

On my computer, I get the same thing, but I have it set to do this in the BIOS...

Restarts are fine, it goes down, and then goes to the BIOS screen, and then reboots, but, on a power down - it will just sit at the "shutdown complete" message... It was the same way in Windows98 - when I had one of the systems running that OS - it would just sit at the screen saying "It is now safe to turn off your computer", instead of actually powering the computer off...

If this is the same for you, you need to HOLD the power button in for around 5 seconds, and then the computer will power off - its a fail-safe kinda thing, you set the "action" of your "power Button" within your BIOS. Its a "fail-safe" setting becuase you can't "accidently" press the power button, and have your system power off, unless the "accident" holds the power button for a length of time...

Not sure on this, but, I think the noacpi cheatcode disables the "communication" that the OS tells the "computer" to power off with, but you would have to have booted with this cheatcode for it to be disabled.

Not sure on the location in the BIOS, where this "feature" is held, BIOS screens are different, but I am sure if you "look around" in your BIOS, you will find a setting for "Power Button Method", or "Usage", and it will be changable to either "off" or, what I am guessing at, is not this setting. Sorry about being a little vague on this, I don't change my BIOS very much, it works, it boots, and only when something doesn't, do I go looking for answers.

Its been a few weeks of being up, so I might just restart, and see what, and where, this setting is on my BIOS, for more assistance to you...

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

Cuddles
07-27-2004, 04:53 PM
Got it...

I have an Award BIOS, so this information will be from my BIOS, and my screens, translate for your own BIOS...

Power Management Setup
---> Soft-Off by PWRBTN -=- has two settings: "Instant-Off" and "Delay 4 Sec"
---> ACPI Function -=- has two settings: "Enabled" or "Disabled"

On my BIOS, I have the "Instant-Off" and the ACPI "Disabled" - and my system doesn't power off by control from the OS - So, my guess is, that you need BOTH of these working to get what you want... Maybe, ACPI "Enabled", and Soft-Off set to "Instant-Off"...

From what you said, I would guess your BIOS settings are set to: ACPI "Disabled", and Soft-Off set to "Delay 4 Sec" -=- in what ever way your BIOS uses to "describe" these settings.

I, still, hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

user unknown
07-27-2004, 09:58 PM
I had the same problem, and got it solved by starting the 'apmd' before halting.

shah
07-28-2004, 09:24 AM
Mine solved using this cheatcode append to lilo:
acpi=force apm=power-off