PDA

View Full Version : Getting realplayer to work in FireFox

MillTek
07-27-2004, 06:15 PM
Hi,
Using Knoppix 3.4 on HDD and Firefox (from Klik.DE) for browsing. I can't get streaming video to work. I have tried realplayer from several sources and the helix playeer from Klik.de but nothing seems to want to work. I have read posts for hours on places like Mozillazine but can't seem to make progress. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

gruntbuggly
07-27-2004, 08:40 PM
MPlayer can play almost anything, including streams and some realplayer files.

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/

Best compile it yourself for maximum performance.

bob58
07-28-2004, 07:29 PM
This post is directed at gruntbuggly......I tried to compile mplayer but ran into another problem when it said i needed something called gecko-sdk. which was a whole different program! I suck at trying to compile these programs. I have been lucky once and got a file viewer one to work,. I always seem to get errors, especially when i do "./configure"

then "make" and "make install" i can never get that far! I can understand the commands for doing it but i seem to get errors that i dont understand. Could you give me detailed instructions how to go about making this mplayer program work? If you have time that is. I can tell you what errors i get. I can download the file, un-tar it.....then the next command "./configure" does not seem to work! Then this gecko-sdk thing.....Ahhhh!!!!! I sure wish this was EASIER!!!!! bob58

gruntbuggly
07-29-2004, 04:20 PM
Google suggests you're trying to compile a/the mplayer plugin somehow? I always use mplayer from the command line and have not had this problem.

Are you using MPlayer-1.0pre5.tar.bz2?
Have you read the README? Installed the codecs?

I reckon gecko-sdk is required to compile things for use with Mozilla.

shah
07-30-2004, 02:27 AM
Add this line to your apt sources.list:
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main

apt-get update
apt-get install mplayer
apt-ger install w32codecs

MillTek
07-30-2004, 01:51 PM
Hey guys,
How do I get FireFox to use mplayer instead of demanding a realplayer plug-in? I've installed mplayer and it seems to work on it's own but FFox still wants realplayer??

Jim