PDA

View Full Version : error trying to boot

Rectifier
07-28-2004, 02:11 AM
after a long week of downloading Knoppix 3.4, I got the image burned, I rebooted my computer, with the CD in the CD-ROM drive, BIOS read the CD, went to the boot loader for Knoppix, I hit enter, and it came up with this error after about 10 seconds:

Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 1:03

after reading all the cheatcodes, I tried using the experimental kernel 2.6 and it came up with the same error, only after starting to boot, detected hardware, but when trying to mount it says the same error, any help onto how I could boot Knoppix?

shah
07-28-2004, 02:30 AM
Need more information about your system.
It could happen if you have a corrupted cd data.

You could try this cheatcode first;
knoppix26 noscsi nodma

Rectifier
07-28-2004, 02:45 AM
corrupted cd data? like a bad download? if not then it probably isn't corrupted cd data, I burned it twice, once on a CD-R, and once on a CD-RW, would using Alcohol 120% to burn the ISO to the CD have anything to do with it?

and I will try the "knoppix26 noscsi nodma"

thanks

Rectifier
07-28-2004, 03:12 AM
after trying "knoppix26 noscsi nodma" I get the same error message as with just knoppix26

RAMDISK: couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.
Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on RAM 3.

and after seeing the RAMDISK: part I think the ISO is corrupted :(

pulsar
07-28-2004, 11:34 AM
For a final check if it's corrupted typ "knoppix testcd". If it's corrupted, meaby someone near you can send you a copy of knoppix, saving you another week of donwnloading.

mzilikazi
07-28-2004, 03:38 PM
It shouldn't matter what you used to burn with as long as you burned the image (which it sounds like you did). Did you check the md5sum of your image before burning as mentioned in the Downloading FAQ (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqDownloading)

If the md5sum checks out OK then try reburning on a new cd-r at a slow speed.
If you have to re-download don't use a browser to do it especially IE.