PDA

View Full Version : D-Link DWL G520 & wlcardconfig

Adam!
07-28-2004, 02:00 PM
Good day all!

I've done alot of research through the forums to try and solve my problem before I needed to post, but I nothing has seemed to work! :)

I just recently purchsed a D-Link 624 wireless router along with a G520 wireless card and am trying to configure them to work in Knoppix.

After booting from the LiveCD, the card is deteted and becomes ath0. I am able to run wlcardconfig and I believe I must be doing something wrong.
I've tried my ESSID as default & dlink, WEP is disabled, I am not using a key and am running on ch. 6.

Now is the only information I should need to enter my ESSID? wlcardconfig asks for much more such as NVID, iwspy, etc, and as I'm very new to wireless cards, I'm not sure of what to enter.

I've tried many different settings with pump -i ath0 to no avail.

Might anyone have any experiences with the same wireless card? Perhaps you could post the configuration settings which abled your card to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Adam

tearinghairout
07-29-2004, 11:21 AM
Hi! Adam!
A quick google, and your report of ath0 seems to suggest that your card is using the Atheros chipset, so you should be able to use this card.
I have an Atheros based card and it seems to work okay, but I seem to have to manually kick it off each time I reboot. (maybe there is a way of getting to happen automatically, but I haven't had the time (couldn't be bothered) to research this yet).
What I do each time is - at a command line logged in as root:

ifconfig ath0 up
pump -i ath0

If you have an AP (your wireless router is one), and you are not using WEP, then I don't think it is necessary to enter any other parameters or configuration settings.

If this still doesn't work, then please post the output of ifconfig -a and iwconfig
THO

Adam!
07-30-2004, 03:13 AM
Thanks for the reply! I've tried a few different things and it doesn't seem like my wireless connection is quite making it :)

When I iwconfig I get:

ath0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"dlink"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437GHz Access Point: 00:0F:3D:3E:FB:10
Bit Rate:36Mb/s Tx-Power:off Sensitivity=0/3
Retry:off RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:23/94 Signal level:-72 dBm Noise level:-95 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

and when I ifconfig

ath0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0F:3D:50:13:51
inet addr:192.168.0.101 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:2337 errors:1013 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:1013
TX packets:44 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:199
RX bytes:268190 (261.9 KiB) TX bytes:4205 (4.1 KiB)
Interrupt:17 Memory:e0c71000-e0c81000

I am able to "ifconfig ath0" up yet when I try to "pump -i ath0" I recieve "Operation failed" (I'm also unable to ping my gateway). It seems that my AP is being detected, along with the bit rate, link quality, as well as signal and noise levels.
ifconfig detects my router assigned ip address and seems to show alot of errors. I'm very curious as to what's causing this :)

If you need any additional info please don't hesitate to ask.
Anything you can gather from this would help :)

Thanks again!

sokminer
07-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Adam

1. Take a look at /etc/resolv.conf and verify that there's a line there to the effect of

nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx #use the ip of your router here

2. Try pinging your router. That'll verify that at least within your network the wireless setup is working. I'm guessing that it is since iwconfig sees your AP/Router. But...

3. If the above don't help try

route add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Again use use your router's IP to fill in the x's.

Hope this helps
Bill