PDA

View Full Version : New comp coming...

Stealth870
07-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Ok, guys, I have a brand new DEll coming in tomorrow or so. Knoppix is gonna be installed there hopefully. I have some questions though:

First, was the CD-ROM bug fixed in Knoppix? I know that I installed it on an HDD before and on the 2.6 kernel the CD-ROMs didnt work...

Second, I think Dell keeps some help/restore crap on the first partition, if I install Knoppix and install LILO too, LILO should be able to just replace the boot loader part right? I mean, it really doesn't matter, I don't think I've ever used the DEll recover stuff on the odler comp, and since this is a new comp, I can't screw up my current WIndows installation. :)

Lastly, I've always had a question. LILO can dual-boot right? WHen you choose the Windows option does it need to boot the boot part of the hdd? As in you have sumthin like:

hda1 - Boot Partition
hda2 - Windows INstalled
hda5 - Knoppix
hda6 - Swap

Ok, does LILO boot hda2 or hda1? Its just something I've wondered...

mzilikazi
07-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Ok, guys, I have a brand new DEll coming in tomorrow or so. Knoppix is gonna be installed there hopefully. I have some questions though:

First, was the CD-ROM bug fixed in Knoppix? I know that I installed it on an HDD before and on the 2.6 kernel the CD-ROMs didnt work...

There have been alot of posts regarding cdrom drives. Honestly I don't know what the problem is exactly but it's fixable. I think alot of it is simply people who don't realize that it's possible to mount a disc by hand instead of clicking something.

Second, I think Dell keeps some help/restore crap on the first partition, if I install Knoppix and install LILO too, LILO should be able to just replace the boot loader part right? I mean, it really doesn't matter, I don't think I've ever used the DEll recover stuff on the odler comp, and since this is a new comp, I can't screw up my current WIndows installation. :)

Lastly, I've always had a question. LILO can dual-boot right? WHen you choose the Windows option does it need to boot the boot part of the hdd? As in you have sumthin like:

hda1 - Boot Partition
hda2 - Windows INstalled
hda5 - Knoppix
hda6 - Swap

Ok, does LILO boot hda2 or hda1? Its just something I've wondered...

Sure lilo can dual boot. I don't know of a boot loader that cannot.
You don't need a /boot partition. When you install lilo (or any other boot loader) to MBR it goes in the hidden track not to a partition. Why not use GRUB? It's a much better boot loader and just as easy to install. Simply run the installer, configure your installation, Quit (save your config) edit .knofig and change lilo to grub. When you add another OS you don;t have to reinstall GRUB like you do w/ lilo. Just update the config file that GRUB reads. /boot/grub/menu.lst