PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix Networked Computer issues.

TechniK
07-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Hey, 1st of all...
I have not used the EN version of knoppix yet, its downloading now, because i downloaded the german version by accident :cry:
So i need to redownload... but while i was in the german version i noticed that the internet didnt work...
Ive got networked computers.. and i use the receiving computer..
So not the computer that has the internet, but the computer that recieves it..
Im using Windows XP, and it works fine with that, but in knoppix it didnt.

bob58
07-29-2004, 05:10 PM
Hi TechniK....If I am understanding you right, you say that your computer will not connect to internet while using the German version of KNOPPIX? Did you try to manually configure the network card? go to the Menu>Knoppix> and in there is an option to configure network card....computer is connected to a router and cable modem. When i log on to Knoppix, the network is auto detecetd....but if i have cable out of computer and plug it in after boot up, i will have to do a manual config. very easy...bob58

A. Jorge Garcia
07-29-2004, 05:19 PM
You need to run netcardconfig from a root shell. I usually choose the DHCP option and all is configured automagically!

Good Luck!

HTH,
AJG

TechniK
07-30-2004, 07:57 AM
hmm okay, ill try, im just burning the cd now.. ill tell you how it goes :wink:
Thanks, for the help.

TechniK
07-30-2004, 08:32 AM
Hmm... well at least this time it was the English version =)
I went to the configure network card thing.. and it said "No supported Network Card Found"

gowator
07-30-2004, 11:35 AM
what network card is it ??

I have an unsupported one at work (broadcom gigabit) and I just keep the module on a USB key and load it when I use the work one then run netcardconfig...

TechniK
07-30-2004, 01:38 PM
How do i find out, ill check up on this again tommorow, i gotta go to bed now ( im 14 and its 11:00 PM ) :?
So yeah, cya..

Yuanlong
07-31-2004, 12:50 AM
Hi, sorry to hijack your thread but then I have a problem which is similar to yours.

I just installed knoppix into my hdd yesterday(the first linux for me), but now everytime when I boot into the it, I'll need to configure the network card again before I can go online.

Is there a way to let knoppix remember the configuration so that I won't have to manually configure it everytime I start up?

PS: My network card is nforece2 onboard chip.

tearinghairout
07-31-2004, 12:59 AM
Hey Yanlong
What method did you use to install it?
It seems that some people (myself included) are having problems like this with HD installed Knoppix. I think it has something to do with the way the various installation methods operate.

Yuanlong
07-31-2004, 01:10 AM
Did you mean how do I install knoppix?
If so I install it using the command #sudo knoppix-installer
then I choose the beginner mode and follow step by step.

If you mean the network card,
I use network card configuration found in knoppix/network/internet

tearinghairout
07-31-2004, 01:22 AM
I meant what mode did you use to install Knoppix.

I suspect the problem might relate to using beginner mode. In another thread ORION is having similar problems with WEP settings getting lost, and he(she?) used beginner mode.

ORION is going to have a go re-installing using the 3rd option (forget what it's called at the moment) to see if that works any better between reboots.

Yuanlong
07-31-2004, 01:25 AM
OMG, that means I'll have to stay with it until I reinstall everything :(

TechniK
07-31-2004, 03:23 AM
lol okay.. my network card is...

SMC EZ Connect Wireless USB Adapter(SMC2662W)