PDA

View Full Version : Copying Knoppix from disk to CD

daveknoppix
07-29-2004, 04:03 PM
I have Knoppix saved on a laptop running MS Windows 2000. I want to transfer this to a CD, but when I format a CD, 30MB or so is used in the formatting and there is not enough room to copy Knoppix.

Any ideas,

Dave

UnderScore
07-29-2004, 04:16 PM
Have you checked the Frequently Asked Questions in regards to burning the CD? http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqDownloading

If the FAQ does not help please let us know what OS you are running, the CDR burning program, and by what method (menu choice or wizard) you are using to burn the CD.
I hope this helps.

James

daveknoppix
07-29-2004, 04:40 PM
I have looked at the FAQ - but no solution.

It is a Dell laptop and I'm using the CD burner that came with it Roxio DirectCD version 5.3.5.10. and the Dell internal CD/CD writer

41MB is used up during the format process, I am using Verbatim CD-R disks and they are formated using CDUDF. Other than giving the CD a label I have no other options.

Dave

A. Jorge Garcia
07-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Are you trying to burn a CDR using a downloaded ISO? If so, don't format first, just do a raw burn!

If you have a running version of KNOPPIX on your laptop and you are trying to make your own CD or ISO, that's remastering and is a much more involved process than you describe....

Good Luck!

HTH,
AJG

firebyrd10
07-29-2004, 08:00 PM
You need to burn the .iso as an image.

I know roxio can do that.

shah
07-30-2004, 02:12 AM
Only cdrw need to be formatted/erase before you can burn,but cdrw capacity is limited to 600MB and it's not sufficient for knoppix.
If you use cdr(700MB), no formatting is needed. Just burn the iso without any adjustment on your software you use.

firebyrd10
07-30-2004, 06:51 AM
Only cdrw need to be formatted/erase before you can burn,but cdrw capacity is limited to 600MB and it's not sufficient for knoppix.
If you use cdr(700MB), no formatting is needed. Just burn the iso without any adjustment on your software you use.

I've got plenty of 700mb cd-rws
You only need to erase a cd-rw if there is something on it. You don't have to format a cd-rw if your just writing an iso file.