PDA

View Full Version : Newbie module compilation question

Jansi
07-29-2004, 05:06 PM
I need a more recent linux-wlan driver than what comes on the 3.4 Knoppix live CD. Knowing I'd have at the very least considerable trouble compiling it (but also having nothing to lose!), I went ahead and downloaded the latest tarball from:
ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/

I then followed the instructions that came with it -- starting with "make config", which hits bumps right away (starting with "Linux Source Directory").

All in all, I got nowhere on it -- and I kind of expected that. But it did leave me needing to ask someone who understands Knoppix better: was what I hoped to do even possible in this "Live CD" context? Can one actually compile modules during a Knoppix session and expect to use them in that same session?

Also, to save the message board another thread, I'll also ask an optional tag-along question (in the hope it has an obvious answer): Let's say I want to mount a Zip drive or such. Currently, I open a term, su to root, mount and unmount the thing in straight-forward fashion. And it works fine for root to read/write. But what if I want to make it writeable to everybody (i.e., user Knoppix). What do I do? Must I modify fstab, or is there a "quick-and-dirty" method with chmod, etc.? Basically, I ask here first because I don't know enough to know if this is a strictly a UNIX/Linux question, or really more of a Knoppix-specific question at this point. Thanks!