PDA

View Full Version : Help!

cyber.punk
07-29-2004, 07:41 PM
I'm reletively new to linux and I've never installed a new OS...
I'm running Windows XP and I'm using Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 to burn my boot CD. I downloaded the file KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-EN.iso from the ftp.mirror.ac.uk mirror. I burned a bootable CD (yes, I did make sure it was bootable, I used the DataCD Project program to burn it and I went File>New>Bootable CD). The first time I burned it I selected HDD Emulator. I kept the Knoppix CD in the CD trey and rebooted and nothing happened. I did the same thing except I selected No Emulation and nothing happened. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

EDIT: I read the FAQ but I have no idea how to check my BIOS to see if my computer supports booting from a CD and I still need to know weather it needs to be set to HDD Emulation or No Emulation...

moustache
07-29-2004, 08:56 PM
I use Roxio EasyCD creator at home on winxp too. You have to use the "burn CD image" menu option and make sure the "open file" window is looking for .iso images. Also be sure you have set your BIOS (set at bootup time) to the right bootup sequence of devices, ie:
1. Floppy
2. CD-ROM drive
3. Hard Disk drive (IDE)
4. Whatever is left

This should do it if your .iso image is not corrupted (check this with MD5sum)

Moustache

cyber.punk
07-30-2004, 04:49 AM
One more thing before I do this, if I have no disc in the CD drive, and I set my BIOS to boot from the CD drive first, will there be a significant change in the time it takes Windows to load?

firebyrd10
07-30-2004, 06:53 AM
One more thing before I do this, if I have no disc in the CD drive, and I set my BIOS to boot from the CD drive first, will there be a significant change in the time it takes Windows to load?

If there is no bootable cd in the drive then you won't notice a difference. (mabye the drive light flashing though)

Cuddles
07-30-2004, 04:13 PM
cyber.punk,

Chances are, you will not notice a "serious" increase in boot time, most people will have the "settings" that moustache suggested - for me, I have "floppy", "CD-ROM", HDD #1, HDD#2...

You will probably want to keep your setting this way in your BIOS, once you change them... That way, if you need to boot a floppy, or a CD-ROM, you will not need to change your BIOS again.

Most manufacturers, or System Administrators, disable "alternate" booting from other devices on the system, in a way of controlling accidently booting something, and possibly messing up the computer -=- they usually don't made these limitations on speed of the boot, because it only takes a few seconds for the computer to realize that either the Floppy, or CD-ROM, device has not media, or its not bootable...

If your computer shows you the MEMORY CHECK during a power on, i.e. when your computer is off, and you turn the power on to it -=- most BIOS' will display something like: "Press <xxxxx> to Setup", or something like that... Usually it is either F1 or DEL -=- most DELL computers use the DEL key - as in the key used in the familiar "Windows Three Finger Salute", my BIOS is an Award, and it uses the F1 key.

Once inside your BIOS, look for something that states "Boot Order" or something like that...

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

mzilikazi
07-30-2004, 05:17 PM

Nah windows always takes a long time to boot. :) But seriously....the BIOS will simply skip right over the cdrom drive if there is no disc present. Otherwise if there is a disc present it will look for a boot sector, when it doesn't find one then it moves on to the next drive.

cyber.punk
07-30-2004, 09:32 PM
alright, I just set it up so that it boots:
1) CD ROM Drive
2) HDD
3) Floppy Drive
(I'll probably change it to Floppy, CD-ROM, HDD when I'm done with this post).
When I restarted after I changed the boot order the CD-ROM Drive just started spinning and the screen went black to that lighter black color that comes up when something is going on a couple times and it just loaded Windows XP again. I'm guessing that I finally have the boot order set up right that I'm doing something wrong with the burning. Here's what I'm doing:
1)Start>All Programs>Roxio Easy CD Creator 5>Project Selector
2)Make Data CD>Data CD Project
3)When it loads I go to: File>New>Bootable CD
4)When the menu comes up for a bootable CD I've already slected No Emulation, HDD Emulation, and Floppy (2.88 MB) Emulation. Floppy (1.44 MB) Emulation is still available and is the only one I haven't tried yet. I really don't feel like wasting another 4 CD-R's to burn Knoppix to so I'd like to know the best emulation to use before I go burning it again.
Thanks

P.S. Thanks a lot to all the guys above who helped me out

Markus
07-30-2004, 09:51 PM
I copy-pasted this from http://members.home.nl/lsnoek/iso.htm#ezcd

Method 1:

1. Launch Easy CD Creator
2. Choose File, Create CD from CD Image... and you'll be presented with a dialog box.
3. Click on the "Files of type:" dropdown box and select "ISO Image Files (*.ISO)"
4. Select the .ISO file you downloaded then press Open.
5. At the CD Creation Setup dialog box, make sure the Write Method is set to Disc-At-Once and Close CD.
6. Select the desired write speed and create options, if necessary, then press OK to begin recording.

Note: In EZCD Creator you must change the drop down to reflect *.ISO rather than the default to see the file.

Method 2:

1. Navigate in Explorer to the .ISO file you have downloaded, and double click on it.
2. Choose the write speed you want to use.
3. You will have three Create options:
Test
Test & Create CD
Create CD
You can use Create CD or Test and Create CD
4. At the CD Creation Setup dialog box, make sure the Write Method is set to Disc-At-Once and Close CD
5. Select the desired write speed and create options, if necessary, then press OK to begin recording.

shah
07-31-2004, 02:48 AM
When you burn iso image, don't use bootcd option because it will create another bootloader ex: dos, drdos etc...