PDA

View Full Version : lilo not writing to /mnt/hda

backdoc
03-17-2003, 02:49 AM
I'm trying to install Knoppix to a partition on my second HD. But, I can't get lilo to write to the mbr of my 1st hd. I suppose that it is writing to the mbr of the 2nd hd instead. But, I'm just speculating about that.

So, I tried creating a boot floppy from within Windows. Yet this does not work. I tried editing the lilo.conf file where knoppix is installed from knoppix running from CD. But, I have write permission problems and cannot make changes.

Any suggestions?

Darren

rickenbacherus
03-17-2003, 04:27 PM
I'm trying to install Knoppix to a partition on my second HD.

That should be no problem. You said 'trying' so have you succeeded or not?

I suppose that it is writing to the mbr of the 2nd hd instead

Actually there is only one MBR and it is in the first sector of the first hard drive. Since you don't tell us how you are trying to install LILO we don't have much to go on. During the install process it should prompt you about installing LILO to the root directory, the MBR or a floppy. If you make the floppy and boot with it then you should boot into Linux OK. If you've already installed Linux edit your lilo.conf file and then you need to re-run lilo

/sbin/lilo

That should do it. Post back with details if you need help.

edit

BTW you don't install to /mnt/hda you install to /dev/hda

backdoc
03-18-2003, 04:22 AM
That should be no problem. You said 'trying' so have you succeeded or not?

I say "trying" because I've not been able to boot to knoppix from the HD. But, all files seem to copy to the partition I'm installing it to.

Since you don't tell us how you are trying to install LILO we don't have much to go on. During the install process it should prompt you about installing LILO to the root directory, the MBR or a floppy.

I'm trying to install lilo as part of the knx-hdinstall script. At the end of installation, you are asked to install lilo.

Here's a little more detail regarding the steps I've taken. I started out following a little howto I found at http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html. However, knx-hdinstall kept popping up German dialogue. So, I searched this forum and found a link to http://www.itm.tu-clausthal.de/~perle/knx/ where there was an English version of knx-hdinstall. I'm running it from a terminal window in KDE. I'm guessing that's OK. The script seems to run fine.

I've tried to install twice. The first time I was offered the opportunity to create a boot floppy. I declined to do so, but wished I had. So, I accepted that and tried to install again and create a floppy. This time, it won't boot from the HD or from the floppy. It tries to boot from the floppy. But, then it hangs. I don't recall at what point or the exact error (I wasn't planning on getting help with that). I just figured that the floppy was bad. I was going to give it another try with a different floppy. But, I wanted to see if there was anything that I could do to improve my chances of getting lilo on the mbr before I spent any more time on it.

Is that too much info??

Darren

rickenbacherus
03-18-2003, 05:21 AM
Is that too much info??

Nope-just right.
I assume you have only one hard drive-it is called /dev/hda. If you have multiple drives the 2nd one would be /dev/hdb the 3rd /dev/hdc and so on.
I am also assuming that you are not dual booting.

Try this:
Relax- boot the Knoppix disk.
Then do this:

sudo cfdisk /dev/hda
Cfdisk is a very easy to use virtual partition genie. It's very straightforward. If you have your own partitions already created then skip this next part.

Make a swap file twice the size of your ram. Put it 'at the end' of the freespace-cfdisk will ask you 'beginning' or 'end' Format it with #82-Linux swap. You can easily learn how to do this within cfdisk and with info cfdisk.
The second partition MUST BE AT LEAST 2300MB. I would make it bigger. Format it with #83 Linux. Don't forget- write the partition table to the disk, reboot with Knoppix cd again.

***make sure everything works as you want it to - that is be sure to use all cheat codes you need for wheelmouse, screensize, etc.
Then do this:
sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall
I have not experienced the German dialogue boxes but I know that they exist. If you have a workaround GREAT. If not burn the English ISO. Do not rush through the install. Read everything. You can still surf for info while you are installing if need be. (try that with m$) :D
I prefer the ext3 file system- very reliable. Make sure you select it with the space bar. Simply moving the focus to that selection won't work! Make the boot floppy when asked - you may need it. Select YES for KDE as your default desktop (unless you don't have the ram).
Here's the important part- Install LILO to the MBR.
NOT the floppy
NOT the root directory
The Master Boot Record

When it says "install complete" do this:
reboot
It will spit out the cd for you.
When you boot into your freshly installed Knoppix- you actually have Debian! SCORE! If you log in as root you will get the KDE wizard. Then do this:
adduser
I would open the KDE Control Center on the taskbar. Familiariz yourself with it because you are about to interpret some German.
Then 'logout' from the taskbar and log in as your new user name.
DO NOT PANIC! It will be in German. Open the Control Panel as before.
Expand the menu item named "personlischze" (I obviously do not speak German) then expand the menu item "land&sprauge" (again - I'd like to apologize to our German speaking friends). Select North Amerika from the pull down menu. You'll have to log out and back in to change things. Don't forget to once again open the control center>Peripherals>Keyboard and select your default keyboard map.
And that's that. :D

backdoc
03-18-2003, 06:18 AM
Thanks for all of the detailed suggestions.

This is going on my second HD. And, I am dual booting. I already have the partitions created, as well.

I just finished trying to get the "work around" for the German dialogue boxes. But, the link seems to be down at the moment. So, I'll have to wait. I don't know why I'm getting German language there but everything else is English. Oh well, I'll get tomorrow.

Here's the important part- Install LILO to the MBR.

That's the odd part. I thought I did (twice).

Do you know of a way that I could edit the lilo.conf file on the Knoppix install? I tried sudo vi /mnt/hdb5/lilo.conf. But, I can only open it in "read only". If I could figure out a way to edit it, I'd be set.

Thanks
Darren

rickenbacherus
03-18-2003, 01:54 PM
Do you know of a way that I could edit the lilo.conf file on the Knoppix install? I

cd /etc
sudo mcedit lilo.conf

You can use vi if you like- I just think Midnight Commander (mc)is much friendlier and easier to understand.

backdoc
03-18-2003, 04:59 PM
Thanks.

You can use vi if you like- I just think Midnight Commander (mc)is much friendlier and easier to understand.

But, my problem isn't using vi. I can get around in vi quite well. It's that as a knoppix user, I don't have permission. I'm having a problem saving changes.

Darren

rickenbacherus
03-18-2003, 05:16 PM
Well then just do a

cd /etc
sudo vi fstab

That should let you save changes.

If you aren't part of the sudoers group though it won't work. You can always become root to save changes but the right way would be 'sudo' or superuser do. To add yourself to the sudoers group- become root
su
-give it the password

cd /etc
vi group

here's my group- (part of it anyway)

cdrom:x:24:knoppix,glenn
floppy:x:25:knoppix,glenn
tape:x:26:knoppix,backup
sudo:x:27:knoppix,glenn
audio:x:29:knoppix,glenn

See how I just added a comma and then my name. That should give you permissions.

backdoc
03-19-2003, 03:49 AM
Finally :).

For the benefit of the hopelessly curious and anyone who may follow this thread seeking solutions for their own problems, here's what I did. It finally clicked that the permission problems were due to the partition being mounted -ro. So, (as close as I can recall) I did the following:

sudo umount /mnt/hdb6
sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb6 /mnt/hdb6
chroot /mnt/hdb6
sudo vi /etc/group (I think I had to do this)
sudo vi /etc/lilo.conf (made edits)
exit
reboot

Thanks for all of the help.
Darren

rickenbacherus
03-19-2003, 04:24 AM
Thanks for letting us know you got it fixed. :D