PDA

View Full Version : eht1 and samba

Nano19
07-30-2004, 01:58 PM
Hello World,

first of all Ihave to apologize for asking the following questions. I am sure that they occured a couple of thousand times before. However I would be very pleased if some of you guys could help.

Here we go.

As you might guess, I am a complete NewBee in Linux/Knoppix topics. I just changed my machine's OS to Knopix because it seems that there is no MS OS that can handle a multi-ethernet-interface computer properly and Linux is such a piece of heaven.

I installed Knoppix v3.3 on my Hard Disk using the knoppix-install script and told the script to generate an OS behaving like the CD.
My machine has two ethernet interfaces, where eth0 is configured to use DHCP and handle my internet connection via lan.
eth1 should be configured using a static IP in an additional lan.

Here comes the problem:
eth1 is configured at startup using DHCP as well. How can I change that? Now, I have to manually tell the system to use some other IP setings by clicking on that nice Penguin next to the KDE "K" in the lower left corner (I think the scrpt is calles netcardconfig or something.).

In addition to that, I would like to start samba sharing all the Drives on user level (which means, requesting username and password from the other machine and then grant access). At the moment, I need to start the server manually by typing "/etc/init.d/samba start" as root. How can this be done at startup?

Now, thank you again in advance for your help,

Basti

shah
08-01-2004, 11:23 AM
Nano19

You need to assign fixed ip address to your eth1, to achive this you need to edit your /etc/network/interface
add line something like this :
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.x.y
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.x.0
broadcast 192.168.x.255
* x,y = whatever you want

to start samba at boot time, run in root konsole:
update-rc.d samba defaults

Nano19
08-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Hey Shah,

first of all, thanks for your Interest. I will give it a try when I come home again!

Cheers,

Nano

Nano19
08-02-2004, 07:06 PM
I managed to convice samba to run at startup. Thanks for that so far :-)

I tried adding the lines above in the file /etc/network/interfaces but I noticed that these lines are present.
I think this is because I have run "netcardconfig" on eth1. But somehow this options are not kept when shutting down the system. I noticed that when the machine boots, the interfaces are in DHCP-mode. Somewhere between the initialisation of the hotplug manager and the xsession, I can read in little borg-green letters that eth0 AND eth1 are present and that DHCP broadcast is used. Editing the file by hand or by script does not seem to change that...

By the way - how can I change the machine's network name from "Knoppix" to something else? I always get confused since there are two "Knoppix" machines in the LAN ;-)

Thanks again for your help,

Basti

shah
08-03-2004, 03:26 AM
To change your hostname use this command in root shell:
hostname [type hostname]

For your ip address problem, I cannot help you further unless you post your /etc/network/interfaces.

Nano19
08-03-2004, 01:07 PM
Ok, this is how my file looks like:

/etc/network/interfaces
after running netcardconfig
<zick>

#some comment lines
auto lo eth1
iface lo inet loopback

#there are really 13 lines of nothing here...

iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.42.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.42.0
broadcast 192.168.42.255
gateway 192.168.42.254
</zack>

Cheers,

Basti

shah
08-03-2004, 02:59 PM
It looks like your eth0 hasn't configured yet. You could try edit your /etc/network/interface and look like this:

#some comment lines
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto lo eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.42.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.42.0
broadcast 192.168.42.255
gateway 192.168.42.254

Try restarting your network: /etc/init.d/networking restart

Then check with: ifconfig -a and route

**Sometime it won't work in kernel 2.4 and work in kernel 2.6

Nano19
08-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Hey Shah,

Wow - you're a genius. That helped. Thanks for the solutiuon!

Unfortunately, it worked for exactly 5 hours and then the machine crashed after I changed some other settings. When now booting, BIOS tells me that "no Operating System is installed", which is before the bootmanager is loaded. It seems that somehow the bootmanager was kicked off the Master Boot Record. Formatting the Disk and re-installing Knoppix did not help - always the same BIOS prompt with any install configuration (Debian-Like, Knoppix-CD-like, lilo in partition, lilo in mbr doesn't seem to matter).

I think I shouldn't have played around with the settings...

Do you know a solution to that problem as well?

Sorry for laming...

Basti

shah
08-06-2004, 02:44 AM
Your mbr is corrupted.
You could try run dos fdisk /mbr or or just delete all your partition using fdisk. Then create new partition for linux. Make the partition bootable. Since you using this computer just to run knoppix, choose install lilo to mbr.

Nano19
08-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Ok, thanks. I'll try when I am back home which will be in a couple of days! Enjoy your week-end,

Basti