PDA

View Full Version : Diasble Autologin??

derkaan
07-30-2004, 03:16 PM
Hi!

Can anybody tell how to disable the "auto-login" function???
Iīve installed Knoppix 3.4 on HD (Knoppix-Install). Iīve also checked that the auto-login isnīt enabled within the KDE KCenter. Itīs no problem to login on a term with a different user but i want to get the normal Login-Screen on startup...

Thanks in advance
derkaan

Markus
07-30-2004, 10:18 PM
To be honest I have no idea if you can disable the autologin on a knoppix-style hd install. Have a look at: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixInstaller for different types of install.
The easiest way would probably be to reinstall. I prefer the debian way and some prefer beginner style which does hardware autodetection at every boot.

shah
07-31-2004, 02:43 AM
Go to settings--->Control Center--->System administrator--->
Login manager--->Convenience.....change to administrator mode(bottom)--->untick Enable auto login.

derkaan
07-31-2004, 07:10 PM
thank you for this tips.
@Makus: iīve think about this solution, but i hope to find an other way
@shah: iīve try this before, but it didnīt work. iīve also change the default user to an other user but the system continue to start with the knoppix-user :cry:

is there really no way to disable the auto-login or to enable the login-screen?? i canīt imagine this!

champagnemojo
08-01-2004, 03:54 AM
Markus is right. I've never heard of anybody being able to change this.

shah
08-01-2004, 05:25 AM
I never had a problem. I even have multiple user log in screen.
Make sure preselect user is none.
If you choose knoppix style hdd installation, my suggestion won't work.

shah
08-01-2004, 05:31 AM
Another thing forgot to mention, on users tab:
Show users-->select not hidden
Select users-->Hidden users: untick all user
System uid: Below=1000 Above=29999

champagnemojo
08-01-2004, 05:52 AM
I never had a problem. I even have multiple user log in screen.
Make sure preselect user is none.
If you choose knoppix style hdd installation, my suggestion won't work.

Yes...you can alter the log-in for the debian and beginner installs...why, does the beginner install start out logging you in automatically? I can't remember. This poster used the knoppix-style though.

shah
08-01-2004, 11:50 AM
Have you check wether kdm exist in your /etc/rc5.d ?

derkaan
08-01-2004, 02:09 PM
the settings have the same values as shah wrote, but i canīt any entries in my rc5.d folder. thereīs just a S20cupsys symbolic which point to ../init.d/cupsys.
Do i have to put there an additional link?? which point to where ???

shah
08-02-2004, 03:33 AM
derkaan

First thing you have to do is, make sure you have the rights to write.Do your editing in super user mode.

List of procedure you might want to apply:

Check and Test:
1) Check your /etc/init.d, make sure there is kdm script in there.
2) Check if KDM is install, run : locate kdm
3) Check your /etc/inittab, is there a line on top:
id:5:initdefault: ..............to make sure you run on appropriate runlevel.
4)Get out from Xsession : ctrl+alt+backspace
5) As root, run this command /etc/init.d/kdm start
If you can see the login screen and able to login, proceed to editing procedure.

Editing:
1) Edit your /etc/rc5.d
a)remove symlink of S*xsession or move in to any backup folder(to be save). S*xsession is a script which let you boot directly to kde.
b)Create a new symlink to /etc/init.d/kdm
root konsole:update-rc.d kdm start 90 5 .
2) Shutdown/reboot
3) If something goes wrong after reboot and you can't enter xsession, restore S*xsession and remove kdm in /etc/rc5.d using mc.

derkaan
08-02-2004, 09:45 AM
Hi,

the first 4 steps of "check an test" were successfull, but on the step 5 i get an error-message "Could not start kdeinit. Check your installation."
But if the initial startscript is corrupted than i also couldnīt start kde with autologin, could i?

Cheers
derkaan

shah
08-02-2004, 11:17 AM
I bet you haven't set your password. Without password you cannot use Kdm. There is an easy way to fix this, replace the file etc/pam.d/kdm-np with the one from http://www.kde-debian.org/~domi/kdm-np

Good luck :D :D :D

derkaan
08-02-2004, 08:07 PM
it works!
thank you shah :-)

shah
08-03-2004, 03:16 AM
Glad you made it.
See.....how versatile linux is. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

champagnemojo
08-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Good work shah...I always figured it'd be too complicated to be worth the effort. But that didn't sound too hard at all. :D