PDA

View Full Version : I'm stumped - I can no longer reach knoppix.net from home

champagnemojo
07-30-2004, 05:05 PM
Hi fellow forumites...I seem to have a strange problem that I can't figure out. I stopped being able to reach knoppix.net (forum or even main page) from my home connection. I've never had problems in the past. I've tried connecting on a knoppix-hdinstall, a debian install, and even under Windows. None of them can find this site. I get the little box popping up telling me that it can't be found. From work it all works fine...obviously or I wouldn't be able to be here at all. I miss reading the forum at home though...so if anybody has any ideas please let me know.

I'm stumped myself...the fact that it won't work on any of my OS's is the weird part. And fyi, every other site works fine. It's literally only this site that has decided not to work for me. :o Can anybody think of a reason such a thing might happen? Thanks.

Markus
07-30-2004, 05:21 PM
Hmm, all I can think of are your ISP or router blocking the site. Do you have some kind of parental control on in the router? Not a probable cause but stranger things have happened.

champagnemojo
07-30-2004, 05:31 PM
I'd say that it's a strange enough situation that probable causes can probably be ruled out right away. :D

The ISP idea is possible...but I use Earthlink...they're a pretty popular provider, so I'd think that others would have this problem too if they were blocking. I think you may be right about the router...it's pretty much gotta be something with it...I just have to figure out what could've possibly changed and why it's only blocking this one site. Thanks for the ideas Markus.

Markus
07-30-2004, 05:49 PM
One more thing could be a new 'feature' in the proxy server. If you use the same with all OS's and browsers, try with direct connection.

PS: Does your boss know you're here during working hours? :wink:

champagnemojo
07-31-2004, 08:27 AM
I think it's gotta be something with the firewall, because I'm on from home now using JAP. It should be an easy fix...I just need to ask if anybody's changed anything on the firewall I suppose.

And we all have to take breaks Markus...you know what they say...all work and no play... :P

eadz
07-31-2004, 10:11 AM
if your ip address is 69.**.*.13 i've banned it for crawling the site ( sometime these bots, download every page and make the server slow, not to mention download heaps of useless pages like changelogs from the wiki.. )

If not, then I have no idea.

user unknown
08-01-2004, 02:46 AM
Did you try

ping www.knoppix.net
or

ping 66.220.1.171?

champagnemojo
08-01-2004, 03:26 AM
if your ip address is 69.**.*.13 i've banned it for crawling the site ( sometime these bots, download every page and make the server slow, not to mention download heaps of useless pages like changelogs from the wiki.. )

If not, then I have no idea.

No, my ip starts with 66. It's still a mystery...everyone insists that nothing has changed on the router. It's not a big deal really...I don't mind using JAP to get here...it just bugs me that I can't figure it out.

Thanks for the idea though eadz.

champagnemojo
08-01-2004, 03:29 AM
Here's what pinging gives me:

$ ping 66.220.1.171
PING 66.220.1.171 (66.220.1.171) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- 66.220.1.171 ping statistics ---
226 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 225033ms

Snow
08-01-2004, 03:36 AM
I'd say MS has bugged your PC.

user unknown
08-01-2004, 04:13 AM
I just need to ask if anybody's changed anything on the firewall I suppose.
Who is this 'anybody'? Perhaps someone kidding you?

Then have a look at you /etc/hosts -file too!

champagnemojo
08-01-2004, 04:20 AM
I'd say MS has bugged your PC.

Clearly. :wink: :lol:

champagnemojo
08-01-2004, 04:25 AM
Who is this 'anybody'? Perhaps someone kidding you?

Then have a look at you /etc/hosts -file too!

Nah...it's all family...and my dad is the only one who really has any control over the network. He hasn't made any changes since the time it stopped working. Plus, I can access any other site, including knoppix.com. I'm sure it's just something simple.

eadz
08-01-2004, 10:42 AM
someone else emailed me, may be a problem with a router in the hosting place.

gowator
08-02-2004, 03:58 PM
perhaps your ISP has a stale proxy cache...

try a manual refresh from the page when it cant find it... or specify it by IP...

eadz
08-02-2004, 10:49 PM
A few people have emailed me with this problem, looks like a router level routing/blocking issue.

champagnemojo
08-03-2004, 01:52 AM
A few people have emailed me with this problem, looks like a router level routing/blocking issue.

Thanks for the info eadz. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one. I don't know anything about remote routers and such, but if it can't be fixed for a while you can suggest that the folks having issues use JAP. That's working fine for me.

eadz
08-04-2004, 12:32 AM
I think I may have tracked down the routing issue, is it working now?

champagnemojo
08-04-2004, 02:35 AM
Sweet! It is working now. Thanks alot eadz.