PDA

View Full Version : cookies

senorian
12-18-2002, 08:14 PM
Hi
When using the CD to surf the net a small window frequently pops up asking if I want to accept cookies. If the request comes from the url I am looking at I accept.
But, since my computer is not using the hard drive (i.e I believe that I could still surf if the HD was removed) what information is being sent to the cookie source?
On the other hand, even if i refuse to accept the cookies they have come to me (my computer) thru the ISP and the ISP must know details about me.
So is there any difference whether I accept or reject?
Either way some information would appear to be sent to the cookie source.
Obviously I am a newbie and this may not be a simple question; if so I apologize.

calord17
12-23-2002, 08:37 AM
Hi
When using the CD to surf the net a small window frequently pops up asking if I want to accept cookies. If the request comes from the url I am looking at I accept.
But, since my computer is not using the hard drive (i.e I believe that I could still surf if the HD was removed) what information is being sent to the cookie source?
On the other hand, even if i refuse to accept the cookies they have come to me (my computer) thru the ISP and the ISP must know details about me.
So is there any difference whether I accept or reject?
Either way some information would appear to be sent to the cookie source.
Obviously I am a newbie and this may not be a simple question; if so I apologize.

As I understand it, if you accept the cookie, it is recorded on your hard disk and "set". If not, then that cookie and all subsequent requests to set/read/write that cookie are denied. With Knoppix, I would imagine that cookies that have been accepted are "written" to the RAMdisk.

I don't think the ISP could possibly be bothered with trying to find out too much about you particularly, since they have thousands of customers usually.

Hope this helps.