PDA

View Full Version : fstab

rmayer1
03-17-2003, 03:54 AM
got knoppix on my hd.
had access in editors to only the root partition made in hdinstall.
i read this forum and modified fstab to auto (from noauto)for my vfat and other linux partitions but still can't see them on the desktop or find them in an editor. the system info does show them now.
is there another move to get access to these for viewing and editing.
thanks for help. very new to this.

god
03-17-2003, 04:01 AM
the problem mey be with permissions. Perhaps they are set to only root can access them. Go to a cmd prompt, and su to root, and then try and veiw /edit the files. That may be the problem. If it is, you will need to change permissions, and/or edit fstab (add the word "users" in the list of attributes) to get it to work.

rmayer1
03-17-2003, 04:25 AM
i work in root as su since i missed a couple things during the hdinstall. one was making a new user and the other was i made a floppy and now don't know how to do lilo. so i have lots of stuff to do.
this is fstab

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda6 / ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec, 0 0
# partitions found by Knoppix
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
/dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 ext2 auto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 ext2 auto,users,exec 0 0
#/dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 ext2 auto,users,exec 0 0

also i had to remove the # to make them visible to sys info.
thank you god.

god
03-17-2003, 05:08 AM
no prob....

type "adduser" at a cmd line to add a new, non-root user.

zzyzx
03-17-2003, 06:56 PM
Type

cat /dev/cdrom
cat /dev/fd0
cat /dev/scd1

cntl-z to break out.

To add to desktop try:

Right Click Desktop -> Create New -> CDROM -> add /dev/cdrom line.

RockMumbles
03-17-2003, 07:15 PM
Are you mounting the devices before you try to read write?
Use this command as root:
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

Also note in this line from your fstab:
# partitions found by Knoppix
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
this will allow user knoppix in group knoppix access (or root) to this device

If you want a KDE desktop icon for your vfat partition follow zzyzx's example:

To add to desktop try:

Right Click Desktop -> Create New -> CDROM -> add /dev/cdrom line.
Use this same approach:
Right Click Desktop -> Create New -> Hard Disk
In the first tab 'General' pick a new name such as 'Windows' etc. whatever you want, then select the third tab, 'Device' and in the drop-down select the proper device ie: /dev/hda1
Now you will have a KDE mount/access icon on your desktop. Note: if you are running as user knoppix in group knoppix you should now be able to read/write your vfat partition, if you are running as a different user, you will need to edit the fstab line and change uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix to whatever user you run.

HTH

rock

rmayer1
03-18-2003, 06:39 AM
thanks guys,
have another problem that you might be able to help with. knoppix works when i use xmodule=vesa. i have also the woody 3.0 and have tried to put it on my machine but can't get the monitor to work with either s3virge or vesa. why would it work with knoppix but not woody set up on the 3.0 disk set? thanks for help.

RockMumbles
03-18-2003, 09:27 PM
I played with woody on a box with an S3 Virge (or something similar) and I had to follow libranet's instructions for adding an xserver from X-3.3.6.
Knoppix uses a lot newer X than stock woody, I've gone away from using official X on my woody based systems, actually I use a whole bunch of backported packages (deb URI's are available at apt-get.org).

If you are interested here is the libranet link:
http://libranet.com/support/view.cgi?version=2.7&item=0138.html

rock

rmayer1
03-19-2003, 11:44 PM
thanks for the info. this is the kind of explaination i've been looking for.
sounds like it might be the problem. do i set up woody and then add this in later? not too familiar with linux yet.

RockMumbles
03-20-2003, 01:12 AM
Yes, install woody then use apt-get to get the X v.3.3.6 servers, I would probably get both the svga server and the s3v server and see which one works the best. You could use use:

apt-get update
and then:
apt-get install xserver-vga xserver-s3v xserver-svga xf86setup

I used the second method of setting up X:

dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-svga

(or dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-s3v depending upon gthe xserver you want to configure)

rock

rmayer1
03-20-2003, 05:40 AM
thanks again for your help.

rmayer1
03-21-2003, 02:58 AM
i'm back.
when i loaded software i made a swap and root. i have other partitions but didn't set them up as var, user, home. can i still do this somewhere (?).
i also put icons on kde desktop for floppy, cdrom and harddisk, but the harddisk seems only to be able to show one partition. can i put more harddisk icons on desktop for other partitions.
thanks for help.

Alex1
03-22-2003, 11:16 PM
Rock
You suggested this to rmayer1 :-
"I played with woody on a box with an S3 Virge (or something similar) and I had to follow libranet's instructions for adding an xserver from X-3.3.6.
Knoppix uses a lot newer X than stock woody, I've gone away from using official X on my woody based systems, actually I use a whole bunch of backported packages (deb URI's are available at apt-get.org).

If you are interested here is the libranet link:
http://libranet.com/support/view.cgi?version=2.7&item=0138.html "

Is it worth me trying this formy screen problem, but mine is ATI Rage Pro ?

Alex1
:?:

RockMumbles
03-23-2003, 12:13 AM
Alex1,

What is your problem with your ati rage pro card, big blocky striped cursor or unreadable menu items?

I had an ati rage pro and they weren't supported well at all in X 3.3.6 so don't try the 3.3.6 xservers.

Have you tried the " Option "sw_cursor" " XF86Config-4 option?

The other thing would be to not boot up in the hi-res vga mode, from your lilo prompt try this:

knoppix vga=normal

Which will still startup in X but will have normal 80x25 consoles, you should be able to see all of the boot-up stuff. At least then you could work on your system from a usable console. You could edit your /etc/lilo.conf file and add the vga=normal parameter to the Appends="... ..." line.

------------

rmayer1,

You can make more device icons by right clicking on your kde desktop.

HTH

rock

rmayer1
03-23-2003, 01:06 AM
rock
on my fstab file (third entry above) can i do something with this file to make the other partitions at the bottom to make them visible to editors. right now they aren't.
also on the icons on the desktop, i got the floppy cd and root partition of the hard drive but can't get the vfat or other linux partitions.
is the problem in the fstab?
thanks for helping.

RockMumbles
03-23-2003, 08:17 AM
If you haven't changed your fstab it should be OK, although some devices may be read/only.

Right Click Desktop -> Create New -> Hard Disk
In the first tab 'General' pick a new name such as 'Windows' etc. whatever you want, then select the third tab, 'Device' and in the drop-down select the proper device ie: /dev/hda1
Now you will have a KDE mount/access icon on your desktop.

All hd devices and mountpoints listed in your fstab should be available from the drop down window in the device tab of the ' Hard Disk ' desktop icon. Are all of your devices ie:
/dev/hda6 /
/dev/fd0 /floppy
/dev/cdrom /cdrom
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
/dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3
/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5
listed in the drop down window in the " Device " third tab?

Also make sure all of the mountpoints exist, ie: /mnt/hda1 /mnt/hda3 etc.

rock