PDA

View Full Version : Help with hdd

Yuanlong
07-31-2004, 01:31 AM
I just installed a version of knoppix 3.4 to my hdd, now I'm facing a very anoying problem.

I'm not able to choose any other partition to save my stuffs.

Example:
I wanted to save a webpage, so in Mozilla I go file-->save page as
and a save as window will popup with /home/yuanlong/desktop
I have my drive mount to /mnt(actually knoppix mount them automatically)
so I went to search for /mnt.
But everytime when I double click on the /mnt the whole programe would hang and I have no choice but to force shutdown the program. This applies to alotz of other programs

So is there any way I could fix this? And sorry if this is a easy one as this is the first time I'm using linux.

tearinghairout
07-31-2004, 01:46 AM
What computer do you have?

Is it by any chance a laptop with no floppy drive? Perhaps one that has provision for an external floppy which you don't have plugged in?

I have such a laptop, and I have exactly the same problem. When I click on the /mnt in the file save dialogs, my floppy drive light comes on and the program hangs. I think if you wait a few minutes it will eventually keep going.

I fixed this by removing the link to the floppy device /mnt.

I had to do this using unlink, because trying to rm it had the same lockup problem.

Yuanlong
07-31-2004, 01:56 AM
I'm having a desktop, but then the problem is fixed after I removed the flopppy from /mnt.
I never get stuck at opening /mnt now, thanks alot.

Yuanlong
08-02-2004, 05:56 AM
tearinghairout, just wanna ask if there is a way that I can permenently unlink the flopppy? Coz now everytime when I login, I'll have to unlink it manually.

btw is there a way to auto mount all the hdd partition whenever I log in?