PDA

View Full Version : network card reconfiguring each time at boot bug - solved?

softgun
07-31-2004, 02:01 AM
Hi,
Fabian mentioned that the above problem was a bug. Is there a solution or will an install OTHER than beginner install work?

pulsar
08-01-2004, 11:58 AM
See http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10147&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=150

Yuanlong
08-02-2004, 05:28 AM
I think I manage to solved it already.

Ok here is what I do, I installed knoppix with beginner mode. After the installation finished, I log in as root. I went to the KUser and set my user account to have all the permision. And viola I don't need to configure the network card now when I log into my user account.

But I haven try rebooting it yet, I'll let you know the result once I do that.

Yuanlong
08-02-2004, 05:42 AM
I've just tried rebooting and yes it work without a flaw... :D

Jansi
08-05-2004, 05:48 PM
Hi,
Fabian mentioned that the above problem was a bug. Is there a solution or will an install OTHER than beginner install work?

I'm pretty new to Linux, but had the problem you describe and needed a quick solution. Below is what I did. Assuming that you were talking about a static IP:

1) create a file called, say, "mystartup" down in /etc/init.d

2) put these two lines in the file:

ifconfig eth0 [your static IP number] netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast [first three fields of static IP].255 up

route add default gw [put your gateway server here]

3) save the file, make sure it is readable and executable

4) as root, start SysV-Init Editor (from KDE menu->System). Save your current config (just in case).

5) From available services, grab mystartup and drag it over to an appropriate position in Runlevel 5

6) Save it, reboot

That's it -- now, what is a better way?

softgun
08-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Thanks everyone!