PDA

View Full Version : I know nothing about how to get cd rom drives to work

rrfish72
07-31-2004, 03:36 AM
Can someone tell me what to change or add or something? I want to use Linux all the time but cannot figure out how to make my rom drives work, or my zip or floppy.

This is what I get when I click the cdrom icon:

Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist.

This is what I get when I try my floppy:

Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder file:/mnt/floppy does not exist.

Here is what my fstab is:

/etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda3 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
#default line /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/sr0 /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
#This is what I added, didnt work - mount /dev/sr0/cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
#default line /dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
#This is what I added, didnt work - /dev/sr1/cdrom1 iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0

Any ideas so I can get on with my Linux life?

I changed a line above to /dev/sr0 /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0 and now I get the following error :

Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: No medium found

champagnemojo
07-31-2004, 08:42 AM
Change your fstab back to the defaults. The errors you were getting were because your desktop icon is trying to mount your drives onto locations that don't exist. Delete your desktop icons for the floppy and cd-roms and create new ones. If that doesn't work let us know.

rrfish72
07-31-2004, 03:35 PM
This is waht I get when I make new icons trying to point to the device:

Cound not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: special device /dev/cdrom does not exist.

And for the floppy:

mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid bolck device.

The default values never worked for my drives that's why I tried changing them after reading other situations. Any other suggestions?

champagnemojo
08-01-2004, 03:42 AM
Ahhh...well that suggestion didn't work at all then did it? :D

Hmmm...when you got the "medium not found" message, you were trying to read a data cd...not an audio cd, right? You probably already know, but in case you don't, audio cd's can't be mounted and don't need to be.

Try to figure it all out within Konsole...you may already be doing so, but if not that'll save you alot of time over changing the fstab to try each new thing.

If you have a data cd in the drive try:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /cdrom
does it work? And I'd say to put a cd in both cd-rom drives and a floppy disk in the floppy drive before you do so...just in case. :wink:

rrfish72
08-01-2004, 05:41 AM
Finally have everything working.

I changed /dev/cdrom to /dev/sr0 and that solved it. The devices are scsi and need to be sr0, sr1, sr2...... found that out somewhere in forum.
Still had to delete other icons and make new ones pointing to the device.
Now the old icons keep popping back up when I restart.

Why are they coming back and what are they supposed to point to?
Do you know how to get rid of them?

champagnemojo
08-01-2004, 05:54 AM
It depends. Is this a hard-drive install? And if so, what type did you choose?

rrfish72
08-01-2004, 05:57 AM
HD install and it was beginner.

champagnemojo
08-01-2004, 06:03 AM
I'm not very familiar with the beginner-style. It must be part of the boot scripts to generate new desktop icons. But if it's keeping your fstab the way you've changed it I would think it would set them up right. Does it keep the icons you made too, or replace them?

rrfish72
08-01-2004, 02:52 PM
All other icons are kept in place, but those 2 icons and 2 other other icons seem to change back also. Change an icon to a different one and when I restart it has changed back to original. That is only on hda1(XP partition) icon and Linux partition/file icon. I woild like these to stay how they are when I change them. Any Ideas?

champagnemojo
08-04-2004, 03:23 AM
All other icons are kept in place, but those 2 icons and 2 other other icons seem to change back also. Change an icon to a different one and when I restart it has changed back to original. That is only on hda1(XP partition) icon and Linux partition/file icon. I woild like these to stay how they are when I change them. Any Ideas?

Did you figure this out? I'm interested in knowing if this is a beginner-install issue. If nothing else I'll bump your thread up.

rrfish72
08-04-2004, 03:29 AM
When I log into root all the icons remain the way that I set them before. I don't know what is different. Any one know why my account is that way (a few icons return to the way they were before)?

Markus
08-04-2004, 07:57 AM
I suspect something is running /usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons
Can you find anything in ~/.kde/Autostart ?

rrfish72
08-04-2004, 10:43 AM
In root account everything stays as is. I my account only those two icons keep coming back (cdrom and cdrom1) and when I make hda1 and hda3 icon different they chage back to original.

Markus
08-04-2004, 11:12 AM
The ugliest and only hack I found with a quick search is: chmod 000 /usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons
Note that this will make it impossible to execute if you don't change back the permissions.
I checked /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig but couldn't find anything about what could be starting the script. I think you have to grep through your .files in your home directory.

rrfish72
08-05-2004, 12:34 AM
Now when I try to play a dvd I get:

Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: /dev/sr2 is not a valid block device

How do I configure to play a dvd? I made some changes to fstab and the drive worked as a cdrom drive but would not play dvds. I changed to /dev/dvd to /dve/sr2 and made a new icon and that is what I now get. Check out changes to my fstab:

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda3 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

# Took out noauto after defaults and changed user to users
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,users,showexec,umask=022 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
#default line below - changed /dev/cdrom to /dev/sr0 and user to users and took out ro after defaults and noauto after noexec
/dev/sr0 /cdrom iso9660 defaults,users,noexec 0 0
#took out the 'mount' in the beginning of the next line and changed sr0 to hdb this was #experimental
#/dev/hdb /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0

#This is what I added - mount /dev/sr0/cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
# default line for the line below - /dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
#This is what I added - took out noauto after noexec
#/dev/sr1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec 0 0 - this code worked as cdrom
#Changed in the line below dvd to sr2 and user to users and took out noauto after noexec
/dev/sr2 /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX and I took ouut the ro after exec, .
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX - I took out noauto after vfat
/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 vfat users,exec,umask=000 0 0

What are these lines doing?

Only things I get when I look in kde/autostart is :

file:/usr/share/autostart/kab2kabc.desktop
file:/usr/share/autostart/kde-services-knoppix.desktop
file:/usr/share/autostart/kdesktop.desktop
file:/usr/share/autostart/khotkeys.desktop
file:/usr/share/autostart/panel.desktop

Markus
08-05-2004, 07:33 AM
Check your devices with dmesg|grep sr
The master device on your ide cable is sr0 and the slave sr1, unless you have a third drive which would then be sr2.
If you mount something at /dvd you should also check if it exists, else: mkdir /dvd

For dvd's add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
Then do:
dselect update
apt-get -s install libdvdcss2 (remove the -s if it looks ok)

What are these lines doing?

AFAIK cdaudio is for some programs that look for the disc there but I don't use it since AlsaPlayer uses sr0 just fine. Besides audio cd's can't be mounted anyway.
The /mnt/auto/cdrom1 is for automounting but you have to check if you have the directory and create it if needed with mkdir /mnt/auto/cdrom1. That said, I don't use automounting either so I'm not sure about this.