PDA

View Full Version : How to add new user?

u.jochum
03-17-2003, 09:18 AM
Dear all,

I've installed Knoppix on my HD NOT with the knx-hdinstall-script, but with the method Herr Knopper indicates in one of the readme-files (copying all files manually, making all necessary changes manually). Now everything works fine, printer is o.k., modem is o.k. The only problem I have is this:

I have added a new user (me) and want to use this user (me) as standard user, i.e. I want the boot-process not to end up in a graphical X-session with Knoppix as user, but with (me) as the new user. I tried everything: the new user is member of the group users, I said to session management to boot into the graphical interface with (me) as user, but the Knoppix system simply doesn't recognize another user than Knoppix --- every boot ends in Xwindows with user Knoppix.

Any hint would be welcome!

Thanks!

RockMumbles
03-17-2003, 06:51 PM
If you want to just be able to log in as the one new user try this:
edit /etc/init.d/xsession and replace the line:
USER=knoppix
with USER=me

If you would like to allow different users or remote X logins you could try this, on my Morphix hd installs I apt-get install gdm (gnome display manager) and use it as the X login manager. Before gdm will work I have to make the Morphix xsession init script non-executable, so I " chmod a-x /etc/init.d/xsession " then when I bootup I can log in as the user I wish.

HTH

rock

u.jochum
03-18-2003, 08:28 AM
Dear Rock,

thanks a lot! I also had tried the gdm, but when I booted with this display manager, Xwindows was badly affected and didn't run anymore, and so I switched back to the configuration I had before. But I will try it once again, using your solution, esp. with the non-executable xsession-script!

Thanks,

Uwe

RockMumbles
03-18-2003, 09:12 PM
Yeah, if you don't make xsession non-executable and just add gdm X will not run, I also found that out a while back, I ended up with an X crashing endless loop.

Also something I've figured out the hard way, it's a real good idea to leave things in place (especially system scripts) and just make them non-executable, then if you are forced to go back to an initial setup it is easy to undo things, but if you delete a file (as I've done, too many times) and you can't get it from another machine it's time for a reinstall, been there done that, way too many times. Actually knoppix is really cool in this way because you just have to boot up the cd and copy the necessary file over to the install and it's back to where it was.

rock

u.jochum
03-19-2003, 08:34 AM
Dear rock,

I can but underline every single word of your mail! My first installation of gdm (having the xsession script still executable) ended as you say: X crashed into an endless loop. So your remarks on making files non-executable when experimenting with the system are very valuable!

It is a pleasure to have you on this list!

Thanks,

Uwe