PDA

View Full Version : adding & removing menu items, please help...

zroiy
07-31-2004, 06:55 PM
Hi All,
I'm customizing my own knoppix cd . I couldn't find any information on how to add or remove kde menu items. I tried adding and modifing /etc/skel/.kde/applnks/ .. but that didn't help.
Help please...
Thanks, Roiy.

======
correction I did manage to modify one of the kde items from the 'Office' directory , but I also created a new Folder in /etc/skel/.kde/applnks/ but it was not visible in the kde menu ... anybody got a clue .. ?

CrashedAgain
07-31-2004, 11:22 PM
kde has it's own menu editor, 'KMenuEdit'. It's on the start menu under 'settings'.

zroiy
08-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the reply , But that's not what i meant. I'm trying to figure out how to edit the files and directories that compose the start menu and not adding and removing by using a graphical interface.
Does anybody did something like that .. ?

kelmo
08-03-2004, 03:28 AM
Remaster knoppix, with unmodified menu entries.

Test the remaster. While testing open up kmenu edit. Edit to your hearts content.
The editing process creates .local & .config dirs in the home dir. Browse these they are very straight foreward.

Copy these to /etc/skel of your remaster & edit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession to copy these with other dotfiles.

Read all of these files carefully and you cannot go wrong

zroiy
08-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Copy these to /etc/skel of your remaster & edit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession to copy these with other dotfiles
I did added some entries to /etc/skel/.kde/share/applnk on the source area and remade the livecd , but the new menu entries did not appear.
any clues ? should i explicitly add cp cmds in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession ?
How does the KNOPPIX menu entry is created .. ?
Thanks, Roiy

mzilikazi
08-07-2004, 02:56 AM
Copy these to /etc/skel of your remaster & edit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession to copy these with other dotfiles
I did added some entries to /etc/skel/.kde/share/applnk on the source area and remade the livecd , but the new menu entries did not appear.
any clues ? should i explicitly add cp cmds in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession ?
How does the KNOPPIX menu entry is created .. ?
Thanks, Roiy

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession uses rsync to copy files/directories from /etc/skel into /home/knoppix. If you're just using the same old .kde from /etc/skel that was originally on the cd then nothing is going to change. You'd need to put your new .kde into /etc/skel. Realize that I don't use KDE so I am only presuming that .kde is the KDE configuration file is.