PDA

View Full Version : Save Config

threedzion
08-01-2004, 03:59 AM
I am using Knoppix 3.1 but am a Nuub. One problem that bothers me a lot is configuration setup, which I have to do every time I boot Knoppix. I know that I can save my configuration settings on a floppy. But thats a very limited space. If I make a lot of configuration settings and other display changes I find that the configuration files become too big and it does not gets saved on the floppy, even if I do not save files on the desktop. So I would like to know if there is a way to save the configuration files on some other drive like a usb mini drive or a cd and then change some path (some where) so that when Knoppix boots it reads the configurations from that drive instead of a floppy. Ofcours that drive needs to be self mounted first and I need to learn that too.

pulsar
08-02-2004, 02:47 PM
You can find some info here: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqUsing

CrashedAgain
08-04-2004, 11:39 PM
3.1? You should really consider upgrading to 3.4 if you can do it. The save config script in 3.4 provides for saving to HD or a different drive (I can't remember if 3.1 did). It doesn't partition or format or anything, it just writes a couple of files to the HD. Also has provision for a 'persistent home' on the HD. (again, can't remember if you could do this with 3.1)