PDA

View Full Version : Linksys WPC55AG Wireless Card -=HowTo=-

Guitar_Geek
08-01-2004, 04:31 AM
:?: Ok, heres the deal. The WEB site below says my card will work and all with knoppix but i dont understand what hes saying cause im a n00b to linux. so if anyone can walk me through how to get my wireless card to work, i would have to love you. ( or just thank you ) :?:

:arrow: http://hardware.newsforge.com/hardware/04/05/28/1738226.shtml?tid=65&tid=81

Guitar_Geek
08-01-2004, 08:47 PM
i did it!!! w00t!! lol

:arrow: http://oreillynet.com/pub/wfg/4599

ok go to that site for the info but here is what to do to connect to the internet with a wireless card.

open terminal:

type - su root
then type - iwconfig ath0 key xxxxxxxxxxx
then type - iwconfig ath0 essid "Network Name"

that finishes setting up the card

then type - iwconfig ath0

this shows all your card info

then type - pump -i ath0

your card will then send a DHCP packet to any wireless access point near you telling it its info. after that it should connect and youll be surfing the net like I am right now.

this was all done on a Linksys WPC55AG and good ole' knoppix.
( which for some reason wont boot right and other times will on my computer, lol )

good luck everyone else hope you figure your cards out also

rwabel
10-14-2004, 01:36 AM
thanks for the tip. It's working for me on Knoppix 3.7
But this isn't the ideal solution, because
1. after a reboot the whole configuration get lost
2. when I'm connecting to different AP's, I've to change all the time the config. There should be a solution to put several AP's configs.

Isn't there are comfortable solution like on Windows XP?

I hope someone can help me to make wireless surfing on Linux easier and more comfortable.

thanks in advance

howwoward
01-16-2005, 04:44 AM
Hey guitar geek - just wanted to thank you for the instructions - I'm actually running a Netgear WG511T cardbus card on Knoppix 3.7, and your instructions worked like a charm! This is after days of trying to get Fedora to even recognize my card. Woo Hoo!

Mahkno
03-10-2005, 07:06 PM
This does not work for me. I have a WPC55AG card on a Dell Laptop. Mainly the pump command fails. I am at a loss, being a linux newbie. The network card is connecting to a Linksys WRT55AG router. I would prefer to use the A frequency rather than B or G. I know the router is configured correctly as 4 computers operate just fine off it. Three windows machines and an OSX iMac. I am using DHCP fed off a windows server. I know the router can do that task instead but its not set up to do so.

So..... whats the next step? Is there a log file I can look at or something? I have been searching the web for answers with little success.

The ath0 is not picking up an IP address but it seems to recognize the access point.

Mahkno

rgarden
03-15-2005, 05:43 AM
When I run from the Knoppix 3.7 CD, Knoppix sees my Orinoco Gold card as well as my wireless router which at present has no security code. The orinoco card wakes up, scans for networks, finds my router, and links automatically. When I installed knoppix to the hard drive, I used Wlan to set up the connection options, made some kind of mistake, and now when I boot, I get a message that the card is "Busy" and I cannot connect. Is there some kind of a Wlan Confiugration file that I can delete to get the card scanning automatically again ? How else can I reset the options ?

ambersatt
03-25-2005, 11:18 PM
I'm having this same problem on a Dell Inspiron 8000 running Knoppix 3.7 with a DWL-G650 on an Airport Extreme router. After I run pump -i ath0, the card's lights flash back and forth for a few seconds, and I get an Operation failed error. I'm going to keep searching, but if anyone here comes up with a solution to this problem, please post it!

pterandon
04-23-2005, 08:22 PM
iwconfig ath0 key xxxxxxxxxxx

When I do this it says,

Error for wireless request "Set ENcode" (8B2A):
SET failed on device atho0 ; no such device.

:(

(But I guess I'm using Paipix right now instead of Linux. Could that be the problem? :oops: [/quote]

A. Jorge Garcia
09-07-2005, 12:25 PM
I just got a LinkSys WirelessG USB Card installed and, of course, the LinkSys WirelessG Router. I'm using KNOPPIX 3.9 liveCD and I tried

type - su root

but I get an error about ath0 in an unknown device. What can I do about this?

TIA,
AJG

A. Jorge Garcia
09-07-2005, 12:25 PM
I just got a LinkSys WirelessG USB Card installed and, of course, the LinkSys WirelessG Router. I'm using KNOPPIX 3.9 liveCD and I tried

type - su root

but I get an error about ath0 is an unknown device. What can I do about this?

Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
SET failed on device ath0 ; No such device.

Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
SET failed on device ath0 ; No such device.

TIA,
AJG

mrgoldielocks
03-25-2006, 01:37 AM
For all you guys that are getting the error when trying the ath0 i am a newb and this is like the second time i have ever used knoppix so i was trying to connect to the internet all different ways and when i opened the K-Menu/KNOPPIX/NetworkInternet/KWiFiManager. So i opened the KWiFi Manager and selected settings than configuration editor and down near the bottom it had an option that said Setting apply to interface: and an Autodetect button after that, well select the Autodetect and it will tell you if you need to use ath0 or eth0 or whatever... so basically instead of saying ath0 in all of the commands that Guitar Geek gave us i used eth0 and it worked... The End.

nadee1
05-26-2007, 11:11 PM
I am running Knoppix v5.1, booting from a USB thumbdrive. I also have a Belkin 54G wireless desktop card which works fine in Windows. To round this out I have a Belkin 54G wireless router. I have three other computers that connect to this router including the one using the Knoppix live CD. However, I can't get it to connect using Knoppix. I followed the directions of guitar geek and when I tried to pump eth1, it gave me a operation failed. I've tried other methods prior to this with the same results. I also am new to Linux so please someone give me a hand.