PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Settings

ron2big
08-01-2004, 06:45 PM
How can I keep my settings like bookmarks wallpaper all the normal things can I create a folder on my harddrive that the disk sees when I boot or is there some other way?

eco2geek
08-01-2004, 07:24 PM
Yes, if you've got access to a partition that's formatted in just about anything other than NTFS (i.e. FAT32, ext2, etc.) just go to the Knoppix menu, Configure, and choose "Create a persistent KNOPPIX home directory." Follow the prompts. Knoppix will create a file called "knoppix.img" in the partition you choose, using the size you choose (or, alternately, Knoppix will use the entire partition if you tell it to).

Then, the next time you start Knoppix, enter the cheatcode "home=scan" and Knoppix will look for it -- it probably needs to be at the root level of the partition for this to work -- or you can tell Knoppix exactly where it is. For example, if you saved it to a USB thumbdrive, you might put in "home=/dev/sda1/knoppix.img" at the boot prompt.

(You can also save your Knoppix configuration files -- many of the ones in /etc -- by using "Save Knoppix configuration" from the same menu. Your persistent home will probably be many megs in size, but the saved config files are very small and can easily be saved to a floppy.)