PDA

View Full Version : Newbie girl just not getting it right...Cant find my new HD

Keira
08-01-2004, 07:41 PM
Hi Guys

I am embarrassed to ask, as I feel I am rather fluent in Windows, but when it comes to Knoppix, I feel like an eskimo in Sahara.

Ok the ths story goes:

I have two rather similar computers, they have the same everything except the prosessor and network card. Now. I have been running knoppix HDinstall for like 6 months and no worries. But as I now have a better processor in the new machine I am thinking why not just put my HD into my new machine? Now I have already installed knoppix on it but have now moved my bid HD from the oldest of my two machines to the other. But when I get to KDE I can't for the life of me find my new HD... But when running Knoppix from the CD I find it straight away.... Go figure... :(

Now can anyone please explain in extreme layman terms what I should do? If it includes using the commandline I could always try, but so far I have been happy to avoid using it with the occasional exception of apt get.

All I want to do is to have an icon on my desktop that says hdb1 or something (this is where the live cd found the files anyway...)

Please help.

Superstoned
08-01-2004, 10:57 PM
Hi Guys

I am embarrassed to ask, as I feel I am rather fluent in Windows, but when it comes to Knoppix, I feel like an eskimo in Sahara.

Ok the ths story goes:

I have two rather similar computers, they have the same everything except the prosessor and network card. Now. I have been running knoppix HDinstall for like 6 months and no worries. But as I now have a better processor in the new machine I am thinking why not just put my HD into my new machine? Now I have already installed knoppix on it but have now moved my bid HD from the oldest of my two machines to the other. But when I get to KDE I can't for the life of me find my new HD... But when running Knoppix from the CD I find it straight away.... Go figure... :(

Now can anyone please explain in extreme layman terms what I should do? If it includes using the commandline I could always try, but so far I have been happy to avoid using it with the occasional exception of apt get.

All I want to do is to have an icon on my desktop that says hdb1 or something (this is where the live cd found the files anyway...)

Please help.

the live cd automatically does hardware detection. an hdinstall does not. (at least, a debian hdinstall normally doesnt. you can make it do an hardware check if you want, I guess).

so. you have to add the hdisk yourself. the normal way whould be opening the file /etc/fstab and adding a new line for your new harddisk. requires some knowledge about the file (although its not too difficult).
other way is finding the script that creates the fstab. it has a name something like 'createfstab', you can use 'locate fstab' to find its name. running it wil regenerate the fstab, thereby automatically adding the new disk properly.

good luck

Keira
08-01-2004, 11:37 PM
so. you have to add the hdisk yourself. the normal way whould be opening the file /etc/fstab and adding a new line for your new harddisk. requires some knowledge about the file (although its not too difficult).

OK so nao I have Changed my fstab to include my HDB1, still nothing.

Any Ideas as to how I could try your other alternative? I must admit it didn't make much sense to me, even after trying to google for some key words...

Keira

eadz
08-02-2004, 12:25 AM
Once you have the disk set up to mount properly, you can right click on the desktop and go Create New->Device->HardDisk Device, and click on the hard disk tab and your disk should be in the drop down list.

Keira
08-02-2004, 01:01 AM
Once you have the disk set up to mount properly, you can right click on the desktop and go Create New->Device->HardDisk Device, and click on the hard disk tab and your disk should be in the drop down list.

OK I surrendered, installed knoppix anew.. Everything okay now... Created new and so fort on my desktop. Everything seems to run smoothly ;-)

Thanks guys for being so sweet to take of your time and help a gal on a sunday... :D

Keira

Superstoned
08-02-2004, 10:25 AM

OK I surrendered, installed knoppix anew.. Everything okay now... Created new and so fort on my desktop. Everything seems to run smoothly ;-)

Thanks guys for being so sweet to take of your time and help a gal on a sunday... :D

Keira

hmmm

I am afraid I forgot to mention that after adding it to the fstab, you still have to do a few things...
- make a new map in /mnt (or wherever you want to mount the disk)
- then mount it: mount /dev/hdb1 or mount /mnt/datadisk

man mount
man fstab
will give you more info.