PDA

View Full Version : Window to Linux

newLinux
08-01-2004, 08:47 PM
Hi,

I am currently using Windows as my default O/S of my computer and I want to install Knoppix to it. Do I need to format my computer before I install Knoppix? Or can I just install Knoppix without formatting my computer?

Thanks.

firebyrd10
08-02-2004, 03:47 AM
You will need to format atleast a 5 gig ext2 partiton and 500 meg swap partiton.

what windows is it?

newLinux
08-02-2004, 07:04 PM
Hi,

I have Windows 2000 Advanced Server on my computer.
Thanks.

oscar
08-03-2004, 12:24 AM
yes, you need two partitions, one for windows and other for knoppix.

firebyrd10
08-03-2004, 03:13 AM
acually you need 3.
One for windows, one for knoppix and one for the swap partiton.

Make sure that all the files one the windows are drive are near the beginning (defrag) or use a commerical software to resize the wndows partiton so that there is atleast 3 gigs and 200 megs of unused space.

Then use qtparted (hit alt-f2 and type qtparted, or if needed type sudo qtparted)
Then creat a 3 gig ext2 partiton and a 200 meg swap file

Then upen up a shell(click the black box on the bottom and type sudo knoppix-installer then follow the instructions. Make sure you pick a debian based install.

After words type sudo lilo

CrashedAgain
08-04-2004, 11:31 PM
acually you need 3.
One for windows, one for knoppix and one for the swap partiton.

Actually you really should have four:
One for Windows O/S, one for Linux O/S, one for swap and one for data.

Always keep your data on a separate partition from your O/S, you'll think you're absolutely brilliant for doing it the first time your O/S crashes. Plus , if you use VFAT format for your data drive, both Windows & Linux can access the same data & any Linux system can safely write to it. If you use NTFS only the newest versions with NTFS support can be used, if you use a Linux file format Windows won't be able to see the partition.

And you don't really need 5Gig for Knoppix, 3.5 or 4 in lots; you can install in as little as 2.5.