PDA

View Full Version : So close yet so far... Internet question

Drezliok
08-02-2004, 02:11 AM
Firstly I'd like to say thankyou to all those who have helped me before, I am getting pretty good at this.
I am become a decent linux user slowly but surely I will get there. [getting a old Idiot's Guide to Linux and RedHat book has helped some, circa 1995. most of it still appiles]

Anyways, my internet problem is that is "phases out" after abit of none use, like while I am working on a text file or playing a game of Pingus[tracked that down and installed it myself, along with FireFox] Go me!

This also happens right after I switch to Linux from my WindowsXP. The only think that seems to work to get me back online it when I unplug the router for abit and plug it in again.

[EDIT] And while I typed this is phased out too.

Here is my stats on the network where I get my internet.
Linksys Router 1 W/ FireWall
Uplinked to Linksysrouter 2 W/O FireWall
To my PC.
My ISP has Dynamic IP. [Cable Modem, Charter, speed 786mb]
I think and this is pure guess is that it's not quite set up to reaquire the connection under the new IP it's given.
And this is my Config file for /etc/network/interface.

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp

Thankou for you time and help.

shah
08-02-2004, 03:53 AM
You need to run network card configuration. I believe you havent done that since your /etc/neteork/interfaces is empty.

Drezliok
08-02-2004, 04:46 PM
I can't run it, it's not there anymore, I updated and upgraded it to the current testing release.

If it was that I would have not asked, that was the second thing I checked.

How do I do it manuelly?[sp?]

shah
08-03-2004, 05:01 AM
Get knoppix-netcardconfig from here:
http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/sources/