PDA

View Full Version : problem using fromhd/tohd

siddharth
08-03-2004, 06:30 AM
earlier i used to boot from my cd...
i have an external 40 gb firewire hdd (sda1)
to mount my firewire i would use:
sudo mount -o remount,rw,uid=knoppix /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
evrything would be perfect....i could change files and all on my firewire....

now i used tohd=/dev/sda1...worked great.....rebooted then used fromhd=/dev/sda1..also worked great

but when i try to mount my firewire on knoppix using the same command...it works...but for some reason its read only...
please help me

firebyrd10
08-03-2004, 07:28 AM
Try right clicking on the desktop icon, going to actions and change read/write mode.

eco2geek
08-03-2004, 09:53 AM
It can't change the read/write mode, because in order to do that, it'd have to umount it, and it can't, since it's being used. Try it and you'll get an error message.

(I use "fromhd" to load the large (cdrom)/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX image from a partition. It pretends the entire partition it loads from is a CD-ROM, and when I pull up Konqueror and click on /cdrom, there's the contents of the partition. It's mounted read-only.)

So, it's a feature! :wink: Not much you can do except install Knoppix.

siddharth
08-04-2004, 06:21 AM
eco2geek...there has to be a way out...

at boot i used knoppix single fromhd=/dev/sda1
then startx

now i used the same command and i get read & write access on my external hdd...
but i dont like being root...
so tell me a way in with uid=knoppix please....

eco2geek
08-04-2004, 07:40 AM
You really get read-write access when you mount the /dev/sda1 partition somewhere in /mnt, after using "fromhd=/dev/sda1"? In other words, you can save files to it? H'mm.

I didn't know you could run "knoppix single" as a so-called cheatcode. That's interesting.

Anyway, you can try setting passwords for both "root" and "knoppix" after you get to the root prompt ("passwd" for the root user, "passwd knoppix" for the knoppix user) and then type "login" and type in the user name "knoppix" and your password. Then run "startx".

Why don't you make a Linux partition and a swap partition on your external drive and install Knoppix there? It can be done in as little as 5M (although 10 would be better, give it some breathing room). It'd be interesting to hear your experience.

siddharth
08-04-2004, 11:48 AM
yes i really get access...
but i cudnt write to the root folder...so i opened a term...kuser...changed default directory to /home/root...opened limewire and dloaded files onto my external hdd
installing knoppix would take 10mb? only????
on my 40 gb hdd....i currently have 200mbs free....after fromhd(wich takes arnd 700mb)

siddharth
08-04-2004, 12:21 PM
ok i did 'knoppix single fromhd=/dev/sda1'on boot'
when the root shows up...i set passwds...login as knopix...
mount my hd....still read only:(

eco2geek
08-04-2004, 07:04 PM
Yeesh, bad typo. :oops: That should read, GB not MB. You can install Knoppix in as little as 5GB but 10GB would be better. (Sorry.)

In my experience, when you use "fromhd" Knoppix mounts the partition you're loading it from "read-only" when it boots, and there's no way you can subsequently mount it read-write.

CrashedAgain
08-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Yeesh, bad typo. :oops: That should read, GB not MB. You can install Knoppix in as little as 5GB but 10GB would be better. (Sorry.)

In my experience, when you use "fromhd" Knoppix mounts the partition you're loading it from "read-only" when it boots, and there's no way you can subsequently mount it read-write.

That is my experience also.

When I 'toHD' install I try to put the install somewhere that I don't need write access to. I always use at least two partitions (even for a Windows only system) so I can have the O/S separte from the data in case of a crash & I would put the 'toHD' install on the same partition as the Windows O/S ie on hda1. This may be a problem if hda1 is NTFS, there is some info in this forum about putting a toHD on NTFS but I can't help with this as I don't use NTFS.

5Gig!! This is being written on an older laptop with only 6 Gig total set up for dual boot WinME/Mandrake with a Knoppix toHD as well. (Was originally WinME/Knoppix 3.3, soon to be WinME/Knoppix 3.4). I have only 133 Mb for swap but still works OK. I don't put data in the Linux O/S drive either, all data is shared on a separate partition. (hda1=1.8G;hda5=2.3G;hda6(VFAT,shared data)=1.5G)

Absolute minimum for Knoppix is 2.3 Gig (the old 'hdinstaller' would check for this & wouldn't install on less) and you can easily make a very workable system complete with KDE in 2.3 Gig so if you have 3 or 3.5 you have lots. Apt-get remove makes it easy to slim the system down, there are over 100 Mb just in kde-i18n files alone, nobody needs all the languages on a HD install. There is also lots of duplication in Knoppix, several window managers, several browsers, many games, lots of development stuff you don't need if you're not a programmer, etc, etc.

siddharth
08-05-2004, 06:37 AM
why dont you try knoppix single tohd=/dev/sda1
then at the root startx...
once kde loads open a terminal....type mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
(if it gives u a pls mention fstype error...then once on the desktop clk on harddisk partition then give the command...
and u shall get read & write access!!!!
the only thing is that as root....my wine applications crash

eco2geek
08-05-2004, 09:01 AM
H'mm. Please satisfy my curiosity and post the output of "cat /etc/mtab" after you've done this.