PDA

View Full Version : Adding new session type to kdm

sbkryan
08-03-2004, 12:53 PM
HAs anyone successfully added a new session type to the kdm menu in Knoppix 3.4???

I seems as though it is no longer a part of the kdmrc as it was in KNoppix 3.3 where i have successfully added my own sessions

thanks for any help

ryan

hardware_bum
08-04-2004, 08:44 PM
I see no one has answered so I will jump in. I am also trying to do this without success. Just curious, what do you want to add?

sbkryan
08-05-2004, 01:51 AM
Im trying to add xpde - i have been lookin at this for several weeks and jus seem to end up following scripts round in circles - it seems to be something that is knoppix based as the kde web site documentation still says kdmrc is what needs to be changed

mzilikazi
08-05-2004, 03:00 AM
Pardon me if I'm off base here but are you trying to remaster Knoppix? If so then you need to add your session to /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession. Is kdm even used in a knoppix cd?

I'll keep my comments about xpde to myself at this point. :P

sbkryan
08-05-2004, 02:47 PM
no i have it fine in the remastered cd - that was easy - takes minutes - i mean on the hard drive install - on the hard drive install 45xsession is not used unless you install so it boots like the knoppix cd - which i have found isnt really ideal

mzilikazi
08-05-2004, 05:08 PM
no i have it fine in the remastered cd - that was easy - takes minutes - i mean on the hard drive install - on the hard drive install 45xsession is not used unless you install so it boots like the knoppix cd - which i have found isnt really ideal

Oh well then perhaps this post would be better off in the hdd install forum. ;) Sorrry I have no idea how kdm launches other wm's. I prefer gdm.

CrashedAgain
08-10-2004, 05:51 AM
exerpt from http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75882:

"the way sessions are configured changed entirely and the frontend was not adapted. read $KDEDIR/share/doc/kdm/README for instructions. "

Hope this helps. I (and others) reported this bug soon after KDE3.2 came out but I don't think anything has been done about it yet.

Ghandalfar
08-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Maybe bugging KDE maintainers for Debian could help in some debian specific sollution in this direction

mzilikazi
08-10-2004, 06:16 PM
Mewonders if ever ther'll be ONE way to set up sessions no mater which session manager you use? Well I can dream right?

Ghandalfar
08-10-2004, 08:41 PM
figure out how debian is supposed to do this and bug *dm and *wm maintainers about it and try to set up policy document about it