PDA

View Full Version : Lilo won't boot hda1

mpo
08-03-2004, 11:03 PM
Hello,
first i have to say, my english is not too good, sorry therefore, but the german language forum is down at moment. So please be patient with me (as i am an beginner also).
I installed knoppix "debianlikely" on harddisk hdb (partition hdb8). I did'nt know, where the bootloader lilo would install itself. So I choosed the installation in the boot sector of the linux-partition. And I made a floppy-boot while installation. (It's working fine) Then I edited the etc/Lilo.config, and put lilo into mbr of hdb. Now i am able to start linux from hd, by choosing my bios-startoptions (start from harddisk 2). Starting from harddisk, i have the choice between 2 kernels, and several windows-partitions, but only one partition (w98 on hda1) is bootable. I've tried to edit the config-file, by inserting a table-parameter:
other=/dev/hdb2
label="Windows(hdb2)
table=/dev/hdb
Now I can access the second Win98 on hdb2. But the other one won't boot. (I've changed the table-argument too, but that makes no difference) While running /sbin/lilo, following is announced:
Warning: Change AUTOMATIC assumed after "other=/dev/hdb2"
This might have something to do with my problem, how could i resolve that?
tia
Martin

mpo
08-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Hello,
the problem was easy to repair (if you know how, but i got help)
Starting from the second harddisk by bios is something like a charade, and the bootable os has to be concerned, to start from hd1.
Edit the /etc/lilo.config:

Other:=/dev/hda1
label="whatever"
boot-as=0x80
table=/dev/hda

and then run /sbin/lilo.
That's all
hth Martin