PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Problems | Help please

orj
08-04-2004, 04:19 AM
Hello all. First, I wanted to say sorry for posting quite a long topic, but I thought it'd be better to open one post rather than clutter the forum with multiple ones. :) Alright, well, I did an hd install of knoppix since I liked it so much, but altogether then, I seem to have encountered a few problems. One of them being that I can't open applications like xchat, synaptic and gaim to name a few. The good news is that I get pretty much the same error msg when those applications don't open. For example:

knoppix@ttyp2[knoppix]$ xchat
Error reading Pango modules file

** (xchat:26560): WARNING **: No builtin or dynamically loaded modules
were found. Pango will not work correctly. This probably means
there was an error in the creation of:
'/etc/pango/pango.modules'
You may be able to recreate this file by running pango-querymodules.

(xchat:26560): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1561 (g_object_ref): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

** (xchat:26560): CRITICAL **: file pango-engine.c: line 68 (_pango_engine_shape_shape): assertion `PANGO_IS_FONT (font)' failed

** ERROR **: file shape.c: line 75 (pango_shape): assertion failed: (glyphs->num_glyphs > 0)
aborting...
Aborted

Just to show that their mostly similar:

knoppix@ttyp2[knoppix]$ synaptic
Error reading Pango modules file

** (synaptic:26710): WARNING **: No builtin or dynamically loaded modules
were found. Pango will not work correctly. This probably means
there was an error in the creation of:
'/etc/pango/pango.modules'
You may be able to recreate this file by running pango-querymodules.

(synaptic:26710): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1561 (g_object_ref): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

** (synaptic:26710): CRITICAL **: file pango-engine.c: line 68 (_pango_engine_shape_shape): assertion `PANGO_IS_FONT (font)' failed

** ERROR **: file shape.c: line 75 (pango_shape): assertion failed: (glyphs->num_glyphs > 0)
aborting...
Aborted

So I try running pango-querymodules, but it doesn't really help:

knoppix@ttyp2[knoppix]$ pango-querymodules
# Pango Modules file
# Automatically generated file, do not edit
#
# ModulesPath = /usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules
#
/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-arabic-fc.so ArabicScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc arabic:*
/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-basic-x.so BasicScriptEngineX PangoEngineShape PangoRenderX common:
/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-basic-fc.so BasicScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc armenian:* bopomofo:* cherokee:* coptic:* cyrillic:* deseret:* ethiopic:* georgian:* gothic:* greek:* han:* hiragana:* katakana:* latin:* ogham:* old-italic:* runic:* canadian-aboriginal:* yi:* braille:* cypriot:* limbu:* osmanya:* shavian:* linear-b:* ugaritic:* common:
/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-hangul-fc.so HangulScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc hangul:*
/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-indic-fc.so devaScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc devanagari:*
/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-indic-fc.so bengScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc bengali:*
/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-indic-fc.so guruScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc gurmukhi:*
/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-indic-fc.so gujrScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc gujarati:*
/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-indic-fc.so oryaScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc oriya:*
/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-indic-fc.so tamlScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc tamil:*
/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-indic-fc.so teluScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc telugu:*
/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-indic-fc.so kndaScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc kannada:*
/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-indic-fc.so mlymScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc malayalam:*
/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-thai-fc.so ThaiScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc thai:*
/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-hebrew-fc.so HebrewScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc hebrew:*

That is one of the problems I seem to come across. The other one has to do with apt-get install function:

root@ttyp2[knoppix]# apt-get install bitchx
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libice-dev: Depends: libice6 (= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
libsm-dev: Depends: libsm6 (= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
libx11-dev: Depends: libx11-6 (= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
libxext-dev: Depends: libxext6 (= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
libxi-dev: Depends: libxi6 (= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
libxmu-dev: Depends: libxmu6 (= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
libxmuu-dev: Depends: libxmuu1 (= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
libxp-dev: Depends: libxp6 (= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
libxpm-dev: Depends: libxpm4 (= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4)
libxrandr-dev: Depends: libxrandr2 (= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
libxt-dev: Depends: libxt6 (= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
libxtrap-dev: Depends: libxtrap6 (= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
libxtst-dev: Depends: libxtst6 (= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
libxv-dev: Depends: libxv1 (= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://non-us.debian.org ./ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_%7ekitame_mozilla_._Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://people.debian.org sid/i386/ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/people.debian.org_%7ebranden_packages_sid_i386_Pac kages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

So I try apt-get -f install, unsure of whether that will help. Here are a list of the packages that'll be installed :

The following NEW packages will be installed:
libice6 libsm6 libx11-6 libxext6 libxi6 libxmu6 libxmuu1 libxp6 libxpm4 libxrandr2 libxt6 libxtrap6 libxtst6
libxv1

It tries to unpack, but I get this same error with every package that is trying to be installed:

dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Unpacking libxtrap6 (from .../libxtrap6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-4_i386.deb) ...

Also, thank you for taking your time to read this, and once again sorry for the long post. And if it helps, I'm running Knoppix 3.3.

orj
08-05-2004, 02:49 AM
Sorry to bump the post, but if you can contribute or have any clue at all how any of the above could be fixed, please feel free to post

Stephen
08-05-2004, 03:36 AM
Sorry to bump the post, but if you can contribute or have any clue at all how any of the above could be fixed, please feel free to post

You never showed the important part of the error but with this one it is most likely needing to overwrite the file use.

dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libxtrap6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-4_i386.deb

For these parts you need to comment out the lines in your sources.list for the people.debian and kitname ones.

W: Couldn't stat source package list http://non-us.debian.org ./ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_%7ekitame_mozilla_._Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://people.debian.org sid/i386/ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/people.debian.org_%7ebranden_packages_sid_i386_Pac kages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

Then you need to run apt-get update I have no clue on the pango problem.