PDA

View Full Version : /etc/fstab in Knoppix 3.4

apun
08-04-2004, 06:22 AM
Hi,

I am unable to change the /etc/fstab file. Everytime I reboot it, Knoppix regenerates an /etc/fstab. I tried removing some code from /etc/init.d/autoconfig but did not work. Please help.

Amit :roll:

Superstoned
08-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Hi,

I am unable to change the /etc/fstab file. Everytime I reboot it, Knoppix regenerates an /etc/fstab. I tried removing some code from /etc/init.d/autoconfig but did not work. Please help.

Amit :roll:

??? are you running from cd??? where is knoppix then supposed to save its fstab???? on the cd??? sorry, but the cd is read-only (duh) and you can't change anything.

after hdinstall, it depends on what install you did - a debian-type install (no hardware detection = no changes to fstab) or an knoppix-like install (with hardware detection and regeneration of all config files including fstab). if you did the latter, its useless to change it - you should have choosen debian-type install.

CrashedAgain
08-21-2004, 02:31 PM
??? are you running from cd??? where is knoppix then supposed to save its fstab???? on the cd??? sorry, but the cd is read-only (duh) and you can't change anything.

(duh)?? That's a bit harsh!

Sure you can change it. Running from CD, make the changes you want, click on the 'KNOPPIX' menu item, select 'configure->save Knoppix configuration', save your config to wherever you want (eg floppy) then next time boot with config=floppy bootcode.

if you did the latter, its useless to change it - you should have choosen debian-type install.

Not so. Just make the changes you want, then start with the 'nofstab' bootcode. Put it in your /lilo.conf file 'append=' line then re-run lilo.

apun
08-22-2004, 05:59 PM
Of course, I installed to hard disk and also tried to add the "nofstab" option for knoppix in lilo but did not work. Further, I went and changed autoconfig but did not help.

baldyeti
08-22-2004, 06:29 PM
I installed to hard disk and also tried to add the "nofstab" option for knoppix in lilo but did not work.
Which type of install did you choose (beginner/knoppix/debian) ?

Unlike grub, lilo requires to be re-installed for changes to its config file to be effective. Did you run 'lilo -v' after editing /etc/lilo.conf and adding "nofstab" to the "append=xxx" directive of your linux boot section?