PDA

View Full Version : ISO on CD but doesn't boot

fisheromen1031
08-04-2004, 06:24 AM
Hello,
I have the ISO image on CD and checked the md5 sums and everything good there. When I try to boot from CD nothing happens; just loads Windows like nothing is there. :cry: it doesn't seem to matter what computer I put my CD in. I even checked the BIOS and they are set to check CD for boot before hard drive. What am I doing wrong? I thought this was supposed to be simple.

Thanks

Markus
08-04-2004, 08:04 AM
What software did you burn with and did you burn it as an image?

rweisenbacher
08-04-2004, 08:27 AM
The first time I tried to burn the ISO onto a CD and then boot the computer from it, I got nothing--- the computer wouldn't boot onto the CD and it went right into Windows.

I then renamed the ISO file to less than 8 letters. (I named it just knoppix.iso )
Then I right clicked on the iso file and selected "burn to CD".
I am using Roxio's CD Creator 5.35.
I then selected Disc-at-once and made sure the selection for Write CD Text was selected.
The CD burned and when I rebooted I came right into it.

I am actually using it now. And the Konqueror web browser is very similar to IE and Mozilla.

Hope the above info helps.

shah
08-04-2004, 09:46 AM
The question is:
Are the cd burn as data or as an image?
If you burn as data, it won't work as you burn the iso into cd.
If you burn as an image, it will work because the iso will be extracted.

fisheromen1031
08-04-2004, 06:24 PM
I don't remember my burner giving me any options, but I assume it is the image that I burned to the cd because when I checked the cd with the md5 sum thingy it came out the same as what the mirror site said the md5 sum should be. I'll try shortening the name and reburning.
Thanks for the comments!

fisheromen1031
08-05-2004, 05:11 PM
I changed the filename to KNOP.iso and reburned it in WinXP like before. I tryed to pay attention for burn options but none were given. Nothing happened on reboot. :x sigh
Anybody burned their CD in WinXP and gotten it to work?

shah
08-06-2004, 01:18 AM
I use nero in Xp.

fisheromen1031
08-06-2004, 01:35 AM
is nero free somewhere? or did you purchase it?

j.drake
08-06-2004, 02:05 AM
Well, you can load a demo for free. IMNSHO, this functionality should really be built into XP. Imagine if you had to buy software to make a floppy.

BTW, if you have another CD drive beside your burner (or if you load fromhd or from the iso file on the hd), you can always burn using K3B in Knoppix for free.

fisheromen1031
08-06-2004, 04:12 AM
is there a way to know whether I have burned a data Cd or an image? (other than selecting some option before burning the cd or the fact that my computer won't boot into linux)

tearinghairout
08-06-2004, 04:18 AM
When you look at the contents of the CD in Windows Explorer, does it show you whole bunch of files and folders with names like usr bin etc, or does it just show one file called knoppix.iso (or whatever you called)?

fisheromen1031
08-06-2004, 04:20 AM
just one big file: knop.iso

BTW would it matter that I'm trying to get it to work on a Compaq?

eco2geek
08-06-2004, 05:28 AM
just one big file: knop.iso

There's your answer -- you burned the ISO to the CD as a data file rather than as a CD image, and that's why it won't boot.

There's a free CD burning program available at NoNags called CDBurnerXP Pro (http://www.nonags.com/nonags/cdr.html) that I haven't personally tried, but it says it can burn ISO's, if you want to try it.

fisheromen1031
08-06-2004, 09:02 PM
umm?? I looked at the NoNag site and all it talks about is Audio files; I don't see ISO anywhere. what is the difference in the ISO file and an image?

j.drake
08-07-2004, 12:03 AM
The iso file is used to create the image. If you have Nero or EZ CD Creator installed, you simply double-click the ISO file, and the program will load and create a bootable floppy. If you look at the floppy in winexplorer or konqueror, you will see a number of folders and files - not just the iso file.

This is a terrible analogy, but suppose someone ripped a CD and e-mailed a zip folder to you with your tunes inside. You wouldn't just copy the zip file to a blank cd and expect the CD player in your car to play, right? You have to extract the component files to the CD. Think of the ISO file as being kind of like that zip file, and you need a program that knows what it is and how to put all the components in the right place. For as bad as that analogy is, think of the iso as bing like the zip file, and Nero as being like WinZip.

jd

shah
08-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Get your burner from here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/gmm/fwcdburn.html

Jansi
08-07-2004, 07:04 PM
Hello, I have the ISO image on CD and checked the md5 sums and everything good there. When I try to boot from CD nothing happens; just loads Windows like nothing is there. :cry: it doesn't seem to matter what computer I put my CD in. I even checked the BIOS and they are set to check CD for boot before hard drive. What am I doing wrong? I thought this was supposed to be simple. Thanks

Howdy, Fisherman. Sounds like you plopped the ISO file on to a CD rather than burning the image file that the ISO represents to the CD... maybe I'm right, maybe wrong... but what I do feel pretty confident about: if you need to burn it under Windows, this free program should solve your problems:

http://www.burnatonce.com/

firebyrd10
08-07-2004, 09:37 PM
But more or less an ISO files tells the burning software what files to put where. Like a set of instructions.
I suppose another analogy is need to clarify my point.

If you have ever gotten legos or a model building kit, think of it like that.

The model comes with all the parts (files) and instructions on how to put them together. You need someone who can read the instructions and follow them to correctly build the model. (the burning software) Just burning the iso file itself is like displaying the box the model came in. Something is there, but not what is suppose to be there.

There are alot of free software that can burn an iso files the way it needs to burned. I like deepburner.