PDA

View Full Version : Possible to Install using anything besides KDE?

ewangr
08-04-2004, 03:39 PM
I've tried installing Knoppix on the HD of my PII 266 (64 megs RAM, 500 Gigs HD) machine, and while it comes up, it runs slow as a dog. This is even with a 1 Gig swap setup.

My assumption from looking at distributions such as Damn Small Linux is that the problem has more to do with KDE than with Knoppix per se.

Is there a way to do an HD install so that Knoppix uses something like fluxbox? Or is that more of a customization issue?

Thanks,
Ewan

Markus
08-04-2004, 03:47 PM
If you have a beginner of debian install you can select IceWM in the login manager as session type.
Then just start ripping out kde with apt. I can't recall now which window managers knoppix comes with but they should all be listed in the menu. You can also boot the cd with a cheatcode like desktop=icevm

softgun
08-06-2004, 12:04 PM
I too am in a bit of a bother on this. How do I set the default desktop in a beginner HDD install? I want icewm to run as trhe default desktop. But how do I do this? Must I remove KDM completely? If so how?

RockMumbles
08-06-2004, 05:45 PM
In the kdm login window there is an option for "session" or something of the sort (I'm not where I can look at the kdm login screen right now), you should see options such as KDE icewm failsafe etc.

Just select the "session" you want and you should be asked if you want that to be your default session.

HTH

~rock

BTW I have a P-II 266 w/ 64MB ram and it is fine using icewm (much better than KDE) although I primarily use it for a file server