PDA

View Full Version : Starting Postgres using Knoppix (windows - cygwin)

pathy
08-06-2004, 12:51 AM
My default OS is windows 2000. I have installed cygwin and runpostgres database using it. Which works fine.

When I Boot using Knoppix live cd. i can go to the folder where I have exe files to start the db serve. i get a message that user knopppix does not have execute access, this folder has only read access. I tired changing the file settings to execute for all but does not chnage the access.

1. Can I create a user in knoppix which is same as windows user, so that it will have full access on the local hardrive.

2. Is this the way I run applications in windows ? I mean start,by executing applications as I would in windows.

What i want to do is run postgres on the machine and be able to use it using both windows and knoppix, is it possible?

thanks
pathy

user unknown
08-07-2004, 08:07 AM
Uuuuhm.

You run cygwin, a linux-emulator on windows, to run postgres.
Now you want to run wine, to run windows, to run postgres.

Well - for having only one database, which needn't be synchronized, I can understand...
I don't know whether the dataformat of both can be shared - perhaps you read something on the postgresql - website.
Or make a backup of the data, install the linux-postgresql-db, preferably the same version (number), and try to give as data-dir argument the mounted windows-partition, cygwin-postgresql datadir.