PDA

View Full Version : Run a different desktop for HD Knoppix

GuyLeDouche
08-07-2004, 07:56 AM
I'm looking to change the desktop from KDE to Fluxbox. Yet, I would like to be able to choose on startup which desktop I want in Lilo. Is there a way I can simply add a new item in Lilo to boot Fluxbox? For example, I would like my Lilo screen to look like this:
Windows 2000
Linux KDE
Linux Fluxbox
If this isn't possible, could I write a sript to be run n startup to prompt for which desktop I want? I'm running Knoppix 3.4. When I installed, I chose the standard multiuser system. Thanks in advance.

shah
08-07-2004, 11:57 AM
GuyLeDouche

It is possible if you using knoppix style hdd installation because only single user directly login to Xserver. I believed :roll: you can duplicate your lilo's entry that point to the image you want to boot with, label it and append cheatcode desktop=?.

But in your case, which have multi user login, it's aloooooot tricky because only one user can be preselect to login. I would not discuss how because it wil give me and you a big headache. :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's no such thing as script for lilo.

Anyway you actually don't need that in lilo because it's already set in your kdm. Check your kdm (the login screen where you enter your password), on the right side, there is a button labeled menu. Click that and you will see several type of desktop that you can use. Just select.

:D :D

GuyLeDouche
08-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Thanks shah! I do have the menu and I can go straight into Fluxbox.