PDA

View Full Version : 9800 Pro, where's the power!?

Stealth870
08-07-2004, 10:13 PM
I got FlightGear and TuxKart on my system, I've tried playing them with terrible disappointment. Apprently, seeing as how its Linux and OpenGL, my Radeon 9800 Pro isn't eing used to its full power. How do I install drivers for it, or do something to speed it up?? I've tried installing the ATI Proprietary drivers to no avail, because I can't install RPMs for some reason. It keeps asking me to use Alien, but I don't know what or where that is...i

Stephen
08-08-2004, 12:02 AM
I got FlightGear and TuxKart on my system, I've tried playing them with terrible disappointment. Apprently, seeing as how its Linux and OpenGL, my Radeon 9800 Pro isn't eing used to its full power. How do I install drivers for it, or do something to speed it up?? I've tried installing the ATI Proprietary drivers to no avail, because I can't install RPMs for some reason. It keeps asking me to use Alien, but I don't know what or where that is...i

Got to http://kanotix.com/files/ and get the install-radeon-debian.sh then once dowloaded change to the directory you saved too and chmod +x install-radeon-debian.sh and ./install-radeon-debian.sh this best done as root from a console login chosen from the KDM greeter screen menu.

Stealth870
08-09-2004, 01:49 PM
Cool, thanks.

One problem, its telling me something about the kernel not matching something else. Um, here's what ATI's website says:

NOTE: Kernel source code and header files must match the version of the kernel you are using. For example, Mandrake 10.0's precompiled kernel version is 2.6.3-7mdk, for which you should need kernel-source-2.6.3-7mdk RPM release.

I believe this is what is happening to me, so how do I fix it?

<edit>It installed in 2.4 fine, but in 2.6 it won't :P And 2.4 doesn't allow me to use the mouse</edit>