PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP

ZZZ7
08-08-2004, 01:00 AM
Made a bootable cd and dvd with nero and when I boot the machine ,I get a DR-DOS A:\> prompt and it just sits there...........?

What exactly am I supposed to type in to get the knoppix cd to boot up?

My dvd-cd drive is I !

baldyeti
08-08-2004, 01:09 AM
You simply need to pick "burn image" from the "Files" menu, then select the downloaded ISO, *not* start your own bootable cd type of project. The ISO is self-contained and bootable, you just need to burn it as is...

ZZZ7
08-08-2004, 01:18 AM
Ok.I'll give that a try ..............thx!

ZZZ7
08-08-2004, 05:51 AM
Well this is getting annoying.............

I got as far as a blue knoppix screen with a flashing boot_ ,so I hit the enter key...........

then I got the penquin logo at the top left,with hda: lost interupt repeating around 20 times................

changing just the last letter>>>>>>>>hda...hdb?

what the hell is going on now?

pulsar
08-08-2004, 12:32 PM
The first thing you can do is to check the cd's integrity (a check to see if the cd image is correct) by typing 'knoppix testcd' and hit enter (takes a view minutes).
If the integrity is oke you could try one of the cheatcodes to see if it will boot. The cheatcodes list can also be found on the downloadserver (knoppix-cheatcodes.txt). Try the cheatcodes 'knoppix noapic', 'knoppix noapm' and 'knoppix failsave'.

ZZZ7
08-08-2004, 03:42 PM
thx again.............all I wanted to do is have a look at this OS and it's getting really annoying!

ZZZ7
08-08-2004, 06:19 PM
Well my curiousity is satisfied..........besides being most in german and slow...what are the pluses of this OS?

Would it run better if I installed a linux OS [which one] on one of my partitions?

BTW...THX PULSAR.........the failsafe command worked fine!

OErjan
08-08-2004, 08:58 PM
actually Knoppix can be in most languages, just specify at tha boot: line. lang=us for example.
slow. yes indeed, it runs from a CD 150K/s x 52 =7.5Mb/s hdd's can do many times that... (some, theoretically atleast, as much as 133Mb/s)

on the + side
1/ Linux is less prone to malware (virus, adware...)
2/ linux is infinetly configurable (to name one obvious thing, linux
distributions vary from 1Mb to 4Gb installed).
3/ you have access to most of the programmes soucecodes.
4/ you can do most things from setting upp a webserver to making your own linux distribution (requires quite some manual reading), or just send/recive mail, browse the web...
5/ linux is STABLE!
6/ Forums like this give help if you ask politely (and mostly oterwise aswell, though shorter less helpful in general)

on the - side.
1/ requires "relearning" some things.
2/ is not all graphical (some things are easiest/fastest in comandline).
3/ not all things can be done easily (playing win games like doom3...to name one)

as to linux distributions. fedora, suse, mandrake are the "easiest" to get going ok, but they are not optimal.
Debian or Slackware are better but require more lerning and work.
gentoo and lfs are optimum but require enormous efort to optimise, but as everything is compiled specifically for your computer it is the optimum as far as far as speed and stability and optimisaton you can ever get running on it.

Linux gives YOU fredom to make what YOU want of it. about like a kit-car or a dreamhouse. the effort/skill/aptitude (and/or money) you put in will show in the end.

ZZZ7
08-08-2004, 11:31 PM
thx great info!