PDA

View Full Version : Ypbind

Joe999
08-08-2004, 01:26 AM
After doing a dist-upgrade to sid, something a little odd pops up in the bootup sequence. I get a message of "Nis domainname to ypbind", then it shows a progress for a minute or two - holding up the boot process. Anyone know what this is, and if it's something which can be disabled?

shah
08-08-2004, 03:07 AM
When upgading your distro(knoppix), a lot of new services is installed, which lots of them are not needed by you. This services will eventually slow down your booting process.

You can remove services you don't want by editing your rc.d file/folder.
In case of knoppix, all those services can be remove from folder called /etc/rc1.d.........rcS.d. Concentrate more on /etc/rc5.d because your booting process will read from this folder if you use Xserver.

Ypbind is used to find server for NIS domain. Unless you have nis server, you don't need this.

mzilikazi
08-08-2004, 05:04 AM
As root:

update-rc.d -f ypbind remove

rrfish72
08-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Had the same thing happen. Is the file S15bind9 the one I want to delete? Delete is what I want to do right? These are all of the new things that start and set after I upgraded:

K11anacron S15bind9 S20dbus-1 S20pcmcia S20xfs S80nvtv S99xdm
S10sysklogd S18portmap S20dhcp3-server S20rsync S25bluez-utils S89anacron
S11klogd S19nis S20isdnutils S20samba S25mdadm S89cron
S13isdnactivecards S20apmd S20makedev S20ssh S30squid S91apache
S14ppp S20cupsys S20partimaged S20sslwrap S40arpwatch S99fetchmail

I tried update-rc.d -f ypbind remove and it did the binding thing again after boot.

Durand Hicks
08-08-2004, 07:20 PM
You need to run these commands as root in a console:
update-rc.d -f bind9 remove
update-rc.d -f dbus-1 remove
update-rc.d -f dhcp3-server remove
update-rc.d -f rsync remove
update-rc.d -f nis remove
update-rc.d -f isdnutils remove
update-rc.d -f mdadm remove
update-rc.d -f isdnactivecards remove
update-rc.d -f squid remove
update-rc.d -f apache remove
update-rc.d -f fetchmail remove
update-rc.d -f arpwatch remove
update-rc.d -f sslwrap remove

That's just for starters. The following can be removed as well if you don't plan on using them:
bluez-utils <---- for bluetooth cards if you have any.
samba <---- for file sharing on your LAN.
ssh <---- for secure remote access to your machine.
cupsys <---- for printing from your machine.

Once you're done, you can type reboot to see if it results in a much faster boot. I normally don't have samba, ssh, and cupsys automatically started on boot, I prefer to run them on an as needed basis so as to cut down on open listening ports.

OTOH, if you don't like using the command line to do this, you can use the sysvinit package to remove them graphically.

HTH,

Durand

Joe999
08-11-2004, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'm really impressed with the boot speed gain from removing all that!