PDA

View Full Version : What programs does Knoppix come with after a hd install?

Zero_1984
08-08-2004, 02:29 AM
hey guys, just wondering what programs come with knoppix when installation onto a hd is done, if anything changes, because i was looking around folders and saw folders for apache, mysql and php4 and yet i dont see any kind of link to open them?

i want to install apache mysql and php4 onto my comp, but if knoppix has them already installed, obviously i dont have 2.

so i guess the question is :does knoppix have apache mysql and php4 pre installed? and if not, what are those folders?!

eco2geek
08-08-2004, 07:26 AM
Take a look at the packages (ftp://ftp.orst.edu/pub/knoppix/packages.txt) Knoppix comes with -- it would appear that, yes, apache, php4, and mysql are all there.

I don't have any experience with them, but I'd guess that one accesses them through the CLI (or a web browser front-end, in the case of apache) rather than through a "link" in the GUI. A book on LAMP would be worthwhile.

Stephen
08-08-2004, 07:31 PM
hey guys, just wondering what programs come with knoppix when installation onto a hd is done, if anything changes, because i was looking around folders and saw folders for apache, mysql and php4 and yet i dont see any kind of link to open them?

i want to install apache mysql and php4 onto my comp, but if knoppix has them already installed, obviously i dont have 2.

so i guess the question is :does knoppix have apache mysql and php4 pre installed? and if not, what are those folders?!

Those are servers (except php4 which is sort of an addon to a server) there are no icons or links needed to start/stop them the system will do this automatically for you with the proper files in the /etc/rc.d/directories. Knoppix by default disables these files when you installed so the easiest way to get them recreated properly is apt-get install --reinstall apache php4 mysql and it should install the latest versions from the archive and start the severs up creating the proper shutdown/startup links as well. BTW if you are going to start these services you may want to look at installing a firewall.