PDA

View Full Version : Network card not detected by netcardconfig

spectralshadows
08-08-2004, 03:41 PM
I'm getting a "No supported network cards found." message.

Before I did the hdd install, my linksys card worked. Now neither that nor the sitecom card I've got for it work. (They both work on my XP machine.)

I would post the lspci -v info, but I really don't feel like typing it all out.
I'll try getting my Zip drive working on it & transfer the info that way, but I thought I'd post this now incase there are any simple fixes... I've searched the forums & docs but nothing I've found has been relevant or worked.

Thanks for any help.

baldyeti
08-08-2004, 03:58 PM
If you boot from CD, then issue "lsmod", you should be able to see which auto-detected module/driver is supporting your ethernet card. You can then use that one with your HD install. Try it manually 1st with 'modprobe -v XYZ.o' and add it to /etc/modules when proven correct.

spectralshadows
08-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Thanks... It now sorta works.
If I manually add "tulip" and "crc32", I can succesfully run the card config and get it up and running.

However, after adding them both to /etc/modules and restarting, I find it not working. Probably because they have vanished from /etc/modules - is it not enough to simply add them to the end of the file with vi & save, because that's what I did...

baldyeti
08-08-2004, 06:59 PM
Weird. Maybe you have a beginner or knoppix type of HD install? Then I think a HW detection is attempted on every reboot - but hey this should work in your case since the CD works fine... Dunno, sorry.

Durand Hicks
08-08-2004, 07:23 PM
After updating /etc/modules, you might need to run the following command:
depmod -a
If that doesn't make it stick then
update-modules should do the trick.

spectralshadows
08-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Tried both those commands and it still didn't work.

However, upon rebooting, I noticed it was overwriting /etc/modules from /etc/modules-2.4.26 so I've edited both files, ran all the commands, and now it has almost finished rebooting..... and it works! Yay! :D