PDA

View Full Version : Remove drive icons on desktop

GuyLeDouche
08-08-2004, 03:51 PM
I installed Knoppix 3.4.Whenever I log into a normal user (not root), an icon for every drive/partition I have shows up on the Desktop. I am running the newest version of KDE. I would like to get rid of these icons, and have them not show up everytime I login. Is trhere any way I can do this?

rusty
08-08-2004, 04:19 PM
The easy way is to rght click on the iconand choose delete or move to trash.

GuyLeDouche
08-08-2004, 06:24 PM
That doesxn't work. As soon as I restart/shutdown and log back in, the icons are still there.

Stephen
08-08-2004, 07:15 PM
That doesxn't work. As soon as I restart/shutdown and log back in, the icons are still there.

Right click on the desktop then choose Configure Desktop from the popup menu and when the dialog opens up choose the Behavior selection then General tab now uncheck the Show icons on desktop then apply the changes.

Durand Hicks
08-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Last but not least, you can open a console window and run midnight commander. Navigate to /home/youruseraccount/.kde/autostart and delete the sortcions file. The file keeps bringing back the icons you thought you blew away every time you logout or reboot into kde.

HTH,

Durand

GuyLeDouche
08-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Right click on the desktop then choose Configure Desktop from the popup menu and when the dialog opens up choose the Behavior selection then General tab now uncheck the Show icons on desktop then apply the changes.
This works, but then no icons show up and I can't add any.

home/youruseraccount/.kde/autostart and delete the sortcions file
There is no sorticons file

rusty
08-08-2004, 10:18 PM
From the Configure Desktop -> Behavior -> Device Icons tab, is the show device icons box unchecked?

GuyLeDouche
08-08-2004, 10:48 PM
I made sure to uncheck "show device icons".

user unknown
08-09-2004, 03:52 AM
I guess you installed the knoppix-way, not debian, so /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig is recreating your icons all the time...

GuyLeDouche
08-09-2004, 07:55 AM
I did install the Knoppix way. Can I just get rid of that file/edit it?

user unknown
08-10-2004, 12:52 AM
Hm.
I don't know what will work and what will not work.
I wouldn't recommend deletion, but perhaps you find a hint where the desktop-logos are created, and - after making a backup of course - comment that section out.

wicking
08-10-2004, 01:15 AM
I did install the Knoppix way. Can I just get rid of that file/edit it?

Yes you could edit it. The file (knoppix-autoconfig or whatever the name was) is very well documented (in the file!). Just search for the word "icons" and you will find it.

The comment it out by putting a # at the start of the lines which are responsible for creating the icons.

If you need further help, please ask.

PS: And don't forget to make a backup (= a copy) of the file you edit!!

GuyLeDouche
08-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Thank you all very much. For the record, the file was called /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-autoconfig. There was a function called update_desktop_hdicons(). In it, there was an if statement that said if the user was root to make the icons. I had to comment out the whole if statement. It looked something like this:

if [ "$user" != "root ]; then
su "$user" -c mkdesktophdicons
fi
I just commented that out with "#". And shabam it's fixed. Thanks again all.[/code]

wicking
08-10-2004, 02:06 PM
... there was an if statement that said if the user was root to make the icons.

if [ "$user" != "root ]; then
su "$user" -c mkdesktophdicons
fi

Only for the sake of completeness:
= means is
!= means not is or is not. Because ! is the Symbol for not

So the if statement means: If the User is NOT root, then...

Ok, that was it. :)

ecormier
04-06-2005, 12:39 AM
you can try this....type:
chmod /usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons -x

worked for me....it just sets the file that re-creates the icons as not being executable

Cheers

CrashedAgain
04-06-2005, 09:42 PM
see this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16932&highlight=icons